HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Crow Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/384720-crow-hunting.html)

ChasinTail 09-03-2013 10:40 PM

Crow Hunting

Anybody here do any crow hunting?

If you like wingshooting you'll like crow hunting. Man it's a lot of fun. Good practice for duck season too.

I use an e caller and a cheap hand call that I also use for locating turkey. Really fun to talk te birds into coming in.

NorthernMi OutDoorsMan 09-04-2013 08:08 AM

I am going to be crow hunting pretty soon, I know they can be eaten, They don't taste like chicken. I got a few recipes I am going to try with the crow meat.

raptor5618 09-04-2013 09:22 AM

Tried it for the first time this year if you do not count shooting them if the opportunity presented itself. Lots of fun, Sort of like duck hunting because sometimes it takes a bit to get one in close enough but during most of that time you know they are around. I have a electronic caller and a mouth caller that works pretty well even though I really am just learning as I go. Gets me out in the woods when nothing else is going on and in PA you can even hunt them on Sundays. Wish you could hunt on weekdays but for some reason they are closed Mon to Thursday.

Psylocide 09-04-2013 09:40 AM

I've used them for target practice... never felt compelled to go out hunting specifically for crows though.

ChasinTail 09-06-2013 11:05 PM

Man I just couldn't get myself to eat a crow.. Just something about them that seems nasty, when in reality they are probably just as clean as any other game bird. I've heard they tasted fine. If you do cook some let us know how they taste.

And that's odd they don't allow weekday hunting.

The main tip I have is to be completely hidden. Camo from head to toe, and stay still if one comes in. Decoys are very useful too, really makes them want to come in closer to get a better look and not be to shy. You can make some easily. If you have some wire coat hangers just shape them into a crow and stretch a black sock or black tape over them. 5-6 will suffice.

What type of e caller and sounds do you use?

ChasinTail 09-06-2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Psylocide (Post 4078003)
I've used them for target practice... never felt compelled to go out hunting specifically for crows though.

It's really something else.. Alot different and a whole lot more fun than I thought it would be when I first started. Now I want to do it every chance I get

huntingkidPA 09-09-2013 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ChasinTail (Post 4078551)
It's really something else.. Alot different and a whole lot more fun than I thought it would be when I first started. Now I want to do it every chance I get

thats how i feel! i bought a hand call the other day and went out. called one in (didnt know the first one is the scout) and shot at him at about 50 yards. didn't get him but damn its fun. made some decoys today out of coat hangers, black duct tape and stuffed them with paper so they are 3d. they didnt, turn out bad, i'm just gonna buy some matte black paint cause they are a little shiny. i don't get why you can only hunt them on the weekends though!