Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Need some coyote hunting tips.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need some coyote hunting tips.

Hey guys, need some tips to point me in the right direction to start slaying coyotes.

I'll be hunting in South-Central KY. Mostly open hay fields and wooded hollers. This is where Ive been hearing most of them, but there's definitely more than two groups in my area. I've killed two the past 2 turkeys seasons just from them coming in to the sound of my box call.

Would I be better off hunting out of my pop up blind in a field or in one of my deer stands in the woods?

I have a Flextone Echo e-caller. I'll probably just use the cottontail distress. What sound should I use to locate them this time of year? Would the beta male howl work?

And how important is a decoy? Any tips on making my own? Would the fur of a stuffed animal on a clothes hanger work? Maybe some fishing line tied to it to pull and give some movement?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 AM
HIN
Spike

Hello. The best option would be hunting in a field. This way, you can see the coyote from the distance. How about trying rabbit distress for calling? It seems to be the most efficient call. Also, don't expect the coyote to respond right away, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. So be patient. The decoy attracts the animal because it seems alive. So that could be a solution, too.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beta male howls can work better during certain times of year, not as well during others.

Coyotes gotta eat all year round, so distress tends to be productive at any time. However, depending on your area, coyotes might get very call-shy in the fall if you have a high population of hunters, so changing it up and getting away from cottontail distress during those times can prove productive.

I personally don't buy into hunting coyotes from an elevated stand, if for no other reason than it's too stinking noisy and time consuming to get in and out. I wouldn't recommend a pop-up in most situations either, you're increasing your profile too much. It CAN work, and does work sometimes, and does seem to be the best way to get it done with archery equipment, but for rifle hunting, you will likely scare off more coyotes with the size of the pop-up than you will call in.

Be quiet, be quiet, and be mobile. Don't waste your time calling in one stand for hours at a time. If they don't come within 30min to an hour, you're better served to move to a different spot and try there rather than flogging a dead horse in one stand.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, check out the Predator Hunting Reference forum at the top of the page.

If you have specific questions, you can ask them there also which can turn into permanent threads to help other new hunters with your same questions.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like turkey decoys and a box call works good for you already.

That's what I use once I've hunted a area with distress calls too often.

Just kill some more with the same set-up you used during turkey season.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I set my pop up blind beside a row of old hay bales on the edge of a big freshly cut hay field that's surrounded by woods. It's a really good looking spot. The blind really blends into the spot so it shouldn't be to big of a problem. I'll leave it there for a day or two anyway.

The area never gets hunted, so i should get some pretty good action from the distress call. I planned on hunting out of my elevated wooden blind thats in an even better spot but there's two or 3 monster wasps nests and one can of spray just wouldn't cut it. I'll just wait till winter to hunt that.

If the rabbit distress isn't working what other call could I switch over to? Pup distress?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

Also, how much work is it to skin one out and tan the hide? Id really like to have a nice one to hang on the wall in my cabin. Would I be in over my head?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends what you consider to be "fun" as opposed to "too much work to be worth it".

There are literally days of work involved with properly tanning a hide. Properly skinning, fleshing, salting, stretching, drying, sewing, tanning, conditioning, and softening a hide takes time. You'll screw a few up before you get one right.

What I'd honestly recommend is that if you shoot a nice coyote, skin it and take the hide to your local taxidermist. Most guys will tan a coyote hide for $75-100. That's the best way to have your cake and eat it too in my opinion. You'll be WAY deeper than $100 into a hide to do one by yourself.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah that's what I figured. Thanks for the input though. If I kill a really nice one ill call around and see who does it the cheapest. There's a certain time when the fur is good right? When's that?

Also, what call should I use to locate them at night. I'll hear them howling but then they'll shut up before I can get a good idea of where they're at.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most Trappers say that the Coyote Hides aren't decent until around Oct/Nov when it gets good and cold...Furbearer/Trapping Season around here in Missouri doesn't start til about the middle of November.

Locating Coyotes....maybe get the Primo's Lil Dog open Reed Howler/Barker call,it has the larger white & black call for barking and howling and the smaller green caller for Pup barking/yelping and howling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.