Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How do you cook your squirrel?

Old 08-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default How do you cook your squirrel?

I grilled my first batch of the season. They were pretty good, just not very tender. Probably should have boiled them a little first.

Got any good recipies?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Pan fried with gravy or crock pot with cream of mushroom soup. I personally like my squirrel crispy so I normally fry them.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

get a small pressure cooker and pressure cook them 1/2 hour before you do anything else, then fix them how ya want, I like them dredged in seasoned flour and fried.
RR
Old 08-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Fork Horn

I need to try the pressure cooker.

I cooked some in the crock pot yesterday that tasted great.

Here's the recipe if you guys want to try it.

3-5 squirrel quartered
1 can of chicken broth
1 can of cream of mushroom
Carrots
Chopped celery
Chicken bullion cubes
A little salt and pepper
Add water until covered

Cook for around 6-8 hours or until tender. Take squirrel out and debone. Put back in and add some seasoned flour until its like a gravy.

Make some mashed potatoes and put it on them. I guarantee you'll like it
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 AM
Spike

heres my little life tip....

when you have to ask "how do you...."? just think to your self, google or youtube. everything I didnt know how to do I youtubed it and found millions of video for the one question...
Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kuncapher
heres my little life tip....

when you have to ask "how do you...."? just think to your self, google or youtube. everything I didnt know how to do I youtubed it and found millions of video for the one question...
And that defeats the purpose a social hunting forum. There is tons of BS on the interweb, but there are a lot of experienced seasoned hunters here.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ChasinTail
I need to try the pressure cooker.

I cooked some in the crock pot yesterday that tasted great.

Here's the recipe if you guys want to try it.

3-5 squirrel quartered
1 can of chicken broth
1 can of cream of mushroom
Carrots
Chopped celery
Chicken bullion cubes
A little salt and pepper
Add water until covered

Cook for around 6-8 hours or until tender. Take squirrel out and debone. Put back in and add some seasoned flour until its like a gravy.

Make some mashed potatoes and put it on them. I guarantee you'll like it
you do keep the back piece with the loins on it don't ya, that makes 5 pieces, and the back piece is the best. you can also fry them after pressure cooking like I described then make gravy in the skillet afterwards, when the gravy is done add the squirrel back to the gravy, serve over smashed taters. I'm no paula dean but I'm not gonna starve, I do pretty well with wild game and fish
RR
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Spike

I use a rub that has 4 different kinds of flavored salts in it, And I add 2-3 herbs that go good with chicken, And then I rub it really good, rest it in the fridge over night to draw out the moisture, and then I go ahead warm up my pit and smoke it with Cherry wood and Oak Wood.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I rolled in flour, salt, and pepper, fried two squirrels cut up in an iron skillet, then put them in a crock pot with brown gravy for about 3 1/2 hours, on rice boy were they tender, and tasty.

Yummy
Old 09-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
And that defeats the purpose a social hunting forum. There is tons of BS on the interweb, but there are a lot of experienced seasoned hunters here.

I wasnt meaning nothing bad by it just that if no one were to answer, there is other spots to research and learn from

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.