Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How do you clean a squirrel?

Old 09-26-2003, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default How do you clean a squirrel?

I shot my first two this morning and need to know the best way to clean ' em. Are there any good websites?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:50 AM

Default RE: How do you clean a squirrel?

It is much easier to show someone then to tell them over the internet, so here goes. Make a cut along the belly from head to tail. Be careful not to punture the stomach because it might taint the meat. Cut off the head and separate the skin from the meat by pulling apart. Discard the entrails and skin. Some people like to soak the meat in salt water over night. It' s all a matter of taste.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:55 PM

I have cleaned many squirrels the way Smitty described. I soak mine in salt water overnight to make sure all the hair is off. Good luck with the rest of the season Nathan!
Old 09-26-2003, 06:58 PM

the way I do it,is to put them in a bucket of water,(getting them wet,will help keep the hair from sticking to the meat).

I remove from water,chop off head,tail,all four feet.cut the skin across the back,seperate the skin enough to get two fingers under the skin on each side.pull from both sides,the skin will pull off both ends.
Wash and then gut.cut up and get ready for a feast.[:-]
Old 09-26-2003, 09:02 PM

The way my grandpa taught mew was to make a slit at the base of the tail on the underneath side from one side of the butt to the other. Have someone hole the hind legs or nail them up. Then just simply pull the tail down towards the head and the hide should all come off to the legs and head. Cut the legs off at the joints and the head off. Then gut and soak in salt water all night in the fridge.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:01 PM

uco baseball that is the best way to do it.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m thinking thick rubber or leather gloves, some hot, soapy water, and a good grip. Kinda like bathing a cat. Tough work but they sure smell nice when you' re done
Old 09-28-2003, 08:44 AM

Hey Power, the next one you clean, be sure to get it on video. I would pay good money for that laugh. So would " Funniest Home Videos" .
Old 09-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

funny!
Old 10-04-2003, 07:04 PM

Ridge Runner

That' s the way I do it to.It works great unless you don' t get it right and pull the tail off.If you get it right you won' t get a single hair on them.

Quick Reply: How do you clean a squirrel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.