Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Pellet gun for rabbits?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:37 AM
Spike

That was pretty much informative thanks for posting that.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
just slightly safer , really....

much safer actually
My point wasn't necessarily meant to compare the relative energy of a bbgun (5-12grns at 750-1300fps, not including larger bore 'hunting ariguns') to a .22lr rifle (30-50grns at 800-1200fps), as obviously, the rimfire takes the cake.

My point, which I didn't make well in the interest of brevity, was more that the difference is moot if you're talking about close quarters. Break the glass in your neighbors truck window with either of them and you're still on the hook for reckless discharge of a firearm charges, violation of proximity law charges in some areas, paying for the damages. Accidentally injure your neighbors dog, or worse, a person, and again, you're still on the hook for reckless endangerment, criminal negligence, recuperative damage restitution, etc etc.

So no argument that the extent of damage done by a pellet rifle vs any rimfire or centerfire rifle, but moral of the story, you're not off the hook for safety and responsible gun handling just because it goes 'pitooey' instead of 'kabang'.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Spike

I hunted in England with a BSA Airsporter in 22 the velocity on that air gun is about 750 fps and it will kill Rabbits and Squirrels as good or better than a 20 gauge shotgun. Buy a good Air gun Scope and quality pellets and 50yard shots will be a breeze. Pellets are much lighter than even .22 bullets and go much slower out of most air guns so they wont travel as far., but you still have to be very careful with them. Pellets are cheaper now and eAsier to find than .22 ammo. Have you considered the .22 rimfire BB or CB AMMO?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Weather you by a Pellet Rifle or a .22 is all about safe shot practices and line of sight.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
just slightly safer , really....

much safer actually
I'm not really sure that a bow is safer than either one of them.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
I'm not really sure that a bow is safer than either one of them.
Well, that really depends. If his closest neighbor is 60-70 yards, I would argue that the bow is much safer than either one.

Granted, you're not going to sustain much in the way of an injury if you get hit with a pellet at that distance (an arrow could really jack you up still), but typically you're shooting into the ground when you're shooting at rabbits. I think there is a much smaller chance of an arrow being deflected and damaging anything, than if you were to ricochet a 22lr round off a rock and send it to god knows where.

Hard to say really without knowing the layout, but I feel much safer shooting a bow in my yard than anything else. Especially at the angle that you typically shoot rabbits at.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Most of the rabbits I see are coming out of the one acre blackberry patch behind my house that is bordered with trees, so by limiting my shots in that direction only there is virtually no chance of injury or property damage with my bow. I think that with a pellet gun the risk would probably go up only slightly, that risk only coming from ricochets. I think a .22 would really be problematic due to the report and my neighbors becoming upset and calling the sheriff. This morning I had four rabbits and one squirrel stop and stare at me when I went out on the back deck, all of them were within 30 yards and so tempting.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd much rather stand 100yrds in front of a bbgun than I would 100yrds in front of a bow. Effective range for a bow has less to do with energy as it does with accuracy. BB gun is generally both.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Id go with a bolt action .22lr with CCI Quiet rounds... but thats just me. Or a pellet gun, lol.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
One suggestion to this point: The seals may be too far gone for this to help, but on the 760, it's really common for the piston seals to dry out. If you open the pump handle, and squirt some gun oil on the piston (under the pump handle, you'll see the sleeve and the piston body) you might be able to get that old rifle to hold pressure again. I have two 760's that are 25yrs old, both need a few drops of oil a couple times a year, otherwise you can pump until you're blue in the face and they won't build pressure.
A little oil on the seal helped out tremendously, thanks for the tip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.