HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   First coyote! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/380374-first-coyote.html)

jfarleyx 03-30-2013 08:14 PM

First coyote!

After a few months of trying to figure out calling, setup, and strategy, I finally bagged my first coyote! I tried a new spot this morning and managed to call in 2 shortly after setting up, but after shooting the first one the second made it back over the hill and out of site before I got off a second shot.

I've always hunted deer and birds, but never predators. Man, have I been missing out! That was a lot of fun and after several failed attempts, it feels great to finally get one. :happy0001:

I used the Primos Alpha Dogg e-call, a cottontail call (still need a lot of practice with this), and a MOJO Critter decoy. The first coyote headed straight for the decoy and I took him down at around 70 yards.

I can't wait to get back out there!

Pic of my first coyote and my Savage 10 Predator Hunter 223:

OhioNovice 03-31-2013 07:25 AM

Congrats! Ive gone out a few times and have yet to bag one, it's more tricky than I thought it was going to be.

Btw, what Bi-Pod is that? I like how long it is.

GTOHunter 03-31-2013 07:34 AM

Congratulations on a nice looking Coyote and a sweet looking Rifle! ;)

I know it can be be pretty exhilarating when Hunting and Shooting Coyotes,if possible next time You shot one or call 2 in after shooting the first one try calling again or use the Coyote/Pup yelp and the second Coyote may stop for 1 last look and You'll get a chance at another one and get a double!

What grain bullet are You using in Your .223?I'm using 55 grain V-max Hornady's in my Savage Axis XP Camo Rifle and they do a great job of putting down the Predators!

jfarleyx 03-31-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by OhioNovice (Post 4047492)
Congrats! Ive gone out a few times and have yet to bag one, it's more tricky than I thought it was going to be.

Btw, what Bi-Pod is that? I like how long it is.

Thanks! It's a Harris 13"-27" series S bipod. The "S" means the base swivels side to side, which allows you to keep the rifle straight on uneven ground (as was the case when I shot this coyote). I highly recommend that feature. They're relatively expensive, but well built and sturdy.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/

jfarleyx 03-31-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by GTOHunter (Post 4047496)
Congratulations on a nice looking Coyote and a sweet looking Rifle! ;)

I know it can be be pretty exhilarating when Hunting and Shooting Coyotes,if possible next time You shot one or call 2 in after shooting the first one try calling again or use the Coyote/Pup yelp and the second Coyote may stop for 1 last look and You'll get a chance at another one and get a double!

What grain bullet are You using in Your .223?I'm using 55 grain V-max Hornady's in my Savage Axis XP Camo Rifle and they do a great job of putting down the Predators!

Thanks for the advice!

I shoot the Hornady 55 gr V-max, too. My Savage is a tack driver with that round.

Sheridan 03-31-2013 07:41 PM

Congrats on your first !!!

You just got bit by the bug.......................

I agree with everything you had to say about Harris and their bi-pods.

Only brand and "model" I use: although I have different hight legs on different calibers.

Phil from Maine 04-01-2013 02:34 PM

Congrats on your first coyote.. It is great to see them going down! I hope you get to nail many more!

The V 04-15-2013 01:41 PM

Congrats on the yote! nice one

jfarleyx 04-15-2013 06:42 PM

Thanks, guys. I recently took my new Savage 12FV 204 Ruger to the range and I'm anxious to take it on my next hunt. It's a tack driver!