HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Anyone else call in animals you weren't targeting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/380344-anyone-else-call-animals-you-werent-targeting.html)

vliberatore 03-29-2013 12:20 PM

Anyone else call in animals you weren't targeting?

So I went out for a coyote hunt this morning and had an owl key in on my rabbit decoy after hearing the distress calls.

What have you guys called in that you weren't expecting to?

c-rad 03-29-2013 01:02 PM

I had black bears and mt lions come in with turkey and disstressed rabbit calls.

grinder67 03-29-2013 01:12 PM

The last day of our season (march 15) called in a pair of bald eagles and a mink at the same set!

Psylocide 03-29-2013 01:47 PM

Multiple predators will key on rabbits... I wouldn't be surprised if a number of different preds showed up.

OhioNovice 03-29-2013 07:07 PM

I keep getting racoons... Dont know why. Ive had three coons come in on different occasions. I dont see them as an issue so I will normally let them walk, only shot one because he was getting too close to my Foxfire and I wasnt sure what he would do. :happy0157:

I know racoons are foragers, but will they attack a dying rabbit?

Nomercy448 03-30-2013 07:37 AM

Never fails, it's this time of year that bobcats (not in season any more) will start coming in when I'm calling coyotes.

It's very common that coyotes will come in at any time when I'm targeting bobcats or fox.

Birds of prey like owls, hawks, even crows will come to your call. I can't tell you how many times a stinkin Redtailed hawk has dive bombed my decoys. I've had to get a few new decoy toppers because hawks have carried them off.

Nomercy448 03-30-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by OhioNovice (Post 4047228)
I know racoons are foragers, but will they attack a dying rabbit?

Coons are omnivorous, they'll eat anything they can get their hands on. Chicken and duck killing jack azzes.

The sounds aren't so different from coon distress sounds, so I think that's part of it. A vermintators Syco tweety is a really good call for coons when played a raspy cottontail distress.

Take your bow out one of these days, bow calling coons is a trip!

GTOHunter 03-31-2013 09:23 AM

I've had an Owl fly down at my small Johny Stewart caller,had several Hawks fly in while using a mouth distress call and many Crows respond also....which is good because that means the calls/sounds are working like they should.

I also had several Bobcats come in while I was calling for Coyotes....and as several mentioned it was when they were out of Season and got a Free Pass.i have used a Jack Rabbit mouth call and had Deer run in several times.

fratri 04-01-2013 06:08 AM

I had deer on more than one occasion come on my distress call.

bhw 04-13-2013 07:30 PM

One time I called in a husky and it was dragging it's owner on a leash!!