Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

204 Ruger for Coyotes

Old 03-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Spike

Question 204 Ruger for Coyotes

I'm considering a 204 Ruger for hunting coyotes. Specifically, a Savage model 12. Currently, I use a 223, but the specs (velocity and energy) and low recoil for a 204 are appealing. It seems like it would be a enjoyable caliber to hunt with.

Do any of you use a 204 for yotes? If so, what do you like and dislike about it? Also, what grain & brand of bullet do you recommend? Most of my shots would be under 300 yards.

thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use one all the time and really like it. However it is doubtful you will see a big difference in recoil, effectiveness or accuracy over a .223 at 300 yds.
I like a 35 gr Berger, max dose of RL10x and a br4 for fire in my .204s.
Congratulations on the coming addition your family.

Last edited by skb2706; 03-26-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by skb2706
I use one all the time and really like it. However it is doubtful you will see a big difference in recoil, effectiveness or accuracy over a .223 at 300 yds.
I like a 35 gr Berger, max dose of RL10x and a br4 for fire in my .204s.
Congratulations on the coming addition your family.
Thanks! I'm excited and a little scared that I'll be responsible for another person. I guess I'll finally have to grow up a little! All kidding aside, my wife and I are blessed and we're looking forward to finally being parents.

I appreciate the info on your experience with the 204 and ammo. What are you shooting (Savage, Browning, Remington, etc.)?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
got 5 223's and a 204 clone called the 20 tac, not alot of difference, to 300 yards a 223 with a 35 gr bullet will mirror the 204 in trajectory and energy.
RR
Thanks, Ridge Runner. 35 gr sounds like the way to go.

Of your five 223's, what make/model is your favorite for yote's?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
However it is doubtful you will see a big difference in recoil, effectiveness or accuracy over a .223 at 300 yds.
or 50 yds .
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jfarleyx
Thanks! I'm excited and a little scared that I'll be responsible for another person. I guess I'll finally have to grow up a little! All kidding aside, my wife and I are blessed and we're looking forward to finally being parents.

I appreciate the info on your experience with the 204 and ammo. What are you shooting (Savage, Browning, Remington, etc.)?
My favorite .204 is my little Contender carbine. Both of these coyotes "took one for the team" at about 275 yds. One was standing over the other giving it first aid. 35 gr. Bergers were on the menu..........

Last edited by skb2706; 03-27-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of a Savage 16 FCSS in .204.

I use 40 gr. V-max bullets (like a heavier bullet for long shots in the wind).

Killed a lot of dogs with it.........................Very flat and accurate out to 300 yards.

I bring it when making "stands" as it has a Harris bi-pod on it.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience has been that the .204 Ruger is a side step from the .223rem, or even a step down. The .204R does handle smaller bullets better than the .223rem, or at least it's easier to find lighter bullet factory rounds, which some guys consider to be a benefit in terms of pelt-friendliness.

There's a breaking point for me below 45-50grns where you'll start seeing better pelt-friendliness, but more run aways. I have more run-aways with a .204 than a .223rem.

Frankly, it's a joke to say that the trajectory of the .204R is really worth much. By the time it matters (i.e. you're outside of 300yrds), then either one is marginal, and the heavier bullets of the .223rem will keep it trucking further than the .204R. To each their own, I have both, like both, but I'd give up the .204R, I won't give up my .223rems.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you reload, go with the .204 and 35 gr. bergers on top, and if ya don't reload stick with the .223.
I've shot just short of 100 coyotes this past winter and most of them with a .204 and the 35 gr. berger. It just flat works well.
With that said, I've shot almost 20 with my .17 rem. and it works pretty well to.
If ya start getting a lot of run offs, move the bullet further forward and find the shoulder. Bullet placement is key to plant'em where they stood.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
if you reload, go with the .204 and 35 gr. bergers on top, and if ya don't reload stick with the .223.
I've shot just short of 100 coyotes this past winter and most of them with a .204 and the 35 gr. berger. It just flat works well.
With that said, I've shot almost 20 with my .17 rem. and it works pretty well to.
If ya start getting a lot of run offs, move the bullet further forward and find the shoulder. Bullet placement is key to plant'em where they stood.
A question and a comment here, no offense meant by either, just food for thought:

First: Out of those 100 yotes this year with the 204R, what was your average range? Not doubting in the least, that's a heck of a winter, just think it's worth adding to the consideration when new hunters (less experienced with shot placement, or maybe less experienced shooters). Like I said before, out to 300yrds, the .204R is great for pelt preservation, and anchors them well, but for a hunter playing to 600, I favor more bullet weight. BUT, not everybody hunts that far, or alternatively, there are guys (maybe yourself) that can do more with the .204R at ranges that I'm not capable/comfortable with.

Second: The fact that you mention the .204R and the .17Rem in the same breath reminds me of a post on another site I use a few months back (year ago maybe, eh, I've slept a few nights since then). Many guys that use the .17Rem are generally guys that have hunt enough to have ruined more hides with a 22cal centerfire in a few seasons than most new hunters will ever even call into the gun. Many guys that pick the .204Ruger are guys that watched a few calling videos on youtube, read some stuff online, then went out and bought the hottest new thing. Comparing the hunting effectiveness of these two hunters isn't really fair, so it's not really fair to compare the cartridges in their hands either.

Similarly, if new guys that are pure green buy a .204R instead of a .223rem because of a hornady poster they saw, that doesn't mean their 204R will be as effective as your 204R (as a guy that obviously knows how to fight the fur). You know to move your shot forward and connect with the shoulder to anchor them because you might have seen a few dogs run off after connecting. Some of the new hunters that pass through might not even know where they connected, or might not connect with enough dogs in a season to figure out that a certain bullet placed a certain spot lets them run. A heavier bullet with a pumphouse hit will anchor a dog, even though it might require a bit extra stitching, so that's sort of my 'err on the side of caution' soapbox for new hunters.

For you golfers out there, muscle-back clubs might give a touring pro more power and feel than cavity back's, but at my level, I need my golf clubs as forgiving as I can get!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.