Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

204 Ruger for Coyotes

Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Spike

Great info and pic's, guys. I really appreciate it.

I love my 223 and intend to keep it and still hunt with it. In fact, I plan to head to the woods with it this weekend.

I decided to buy the Savage 12FV 204 and put a Zeiss 3-15x42 scope on it. As far as I'm concerned, I can't have too many guns. I just wish my wife agreed! :-)

My next rifle will be a 22-250 and will be either a Browning XBolt, Tikka T3, or Ruger 77. I'm leaning towards the Tikka. I've heard good things about their accuracy. However, this purchase will have to wait until after kid #1 gets here in July. My next purchase will be a crib. ;-)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

For varmint & predator hunting I only own;

.17HMR Boltgun
.22LR Autoloader
.204 Boltgun
.223 AR
.243 Boltgun

But hope to buy a .22-250 boltgun also..........hell, I stll need a .223 Boltgun !!!

I like hornady V-max bullets for these critters.

From there, it's just a matter of distance and wind / walking or sitting.

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-27-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

we're talking "called" coyotes and when I speak of called coyotes I rarely ever take a shot over 250 yards, most are killed 150 yards or closer. Would a beginner with less experience be "better" off with a 22-250, yeah maybe. BUT, that same beginner with the under standing of the importance of shot placement would also do just fine with a .20 cal., as long as he understands he's not armed for long range kill shots.
I had 12 different guys that joined me to call coyotes this past winter. They killed close to another 40 coyotes with me. What I noticed is most aim for center mass. My theory is, aim small, miss small and favor the front 1/3 of the coyotes body.
There's no doubt, as you drop in caliber the bullet placement becomes more critical. And a bad shot with a sub-caliber will result in a lost coyote quicker than a bad shot with a .24 cal. or larger simply for the reason of "lack of blood trail".
Not many guys can consistantly pull off shots in the field off of shooting sticks out at 500 yards and further. Heck, I don't even shoot at 'em if they hang up that far out for a couple of reasons. I lack kinetic energy and I suck at long range shooting.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A rifle for this; a rifle for that

It seems like the age of specialization and big bucks passing in the form of credit cards, for the more numerous specialized rifle.
They have coyote rifles and even moose rifles these days. It seems if its a seperate species, there's a specfically approved rifle for that species. And some of those predators must be wearing protective gear these days.

Why things are so specialized I hear a company has a special bullet in a .22 LR round that can be used for coyotes. Dang, I have one of those ol' rifles. For 100 yard shots in the woods, I'd only have to buy bullets.

I remember going out for predator . It was easy in the old days when you just used an ol' deer rifle. But times change. And specialization has changed things forever.

Being old, I just get to save on the credit card bills. I never got into that species hunting rifle .

Last edited by Valentine; 03-28-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
It seems like the age of specialization and big bucks passing in the form of credit cards, for the more numerous specialized rifle.
They have coyote rifles and even moose rifles these days. It seems if its a seperate species, there's a specfically approved rifle for that species. And some of those predators must be wearing protective gear these days.

Why things are so specialized I hear a company has a special bullet in a .22 LR round that can be used for coyotes. Dang, I have one of those ol' rifles. For 100 yard shots in the woods, I'd only have to buy bullets.

I remember going out for predator . It was easy in the old days when you just used an ol' deer rifle. But times change. And specialization has changed things forever.

Being old, I just get to save on the credit card bills. I never got into that species hunting rifle .
Not sure how specialized my .300 Winchester magnum is but its a bit much to shoot coyotes with if you plan on saving fur. I pay cash for rifles and buy what I need to do the job how I want it done. You take your 22 lr out to the open prairie where the close shots might be 250 yards....I'll take my .204. At the end of the day we will see how specialized we did.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember going out for predator . It was easy in the old days when you just used an ol' deer rifle.
That makes the assumption that you're a deer hunter and coyote hunting is an after thought, so sure, just use your deer rifle...

I spend a lot more time holding my coyote rifle and a lot more time putting fur in the dirt than I do holding a deer rifle or putting meat in the freezer. We get 10days a year for deer (rifle), 365.25days a year for coyotes. I have 5 or 6 dedicated deer rifles. I have a dozen coyote rifles. Deer hunting is my "after thought".

I spent a lot of time hunting coyotes with my "ol' deer rifle", a .30-06, when I was young and only had one rifle. I grew up calling coyotes with a .22WMR, a .22-250, or a .22 Hornet of my dad's and grandpa's. Then I got old enough, got my own rifle, and needed a single "do-all" cartridge, hence the .30-06.

Then I spent a few years leaving trashed coyotes lay, or wasting time stitching holes in hides to get decent price at market.

Then I realized, deer rifles suck for coyotes.

I'm not sure if this is serious, or mocking, but I really hope you're joking. I have taken dozens of coyotes with a .22lr (guessing still under 100, maybe not?), there ain't a bullet made that can make a .22lr a 100yrd coyote weapon.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 03-28-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Sheridan
For varmint & predator hunting I only own;

.17HMR Boltgun
.22LR Autoloader
.204 Boltgun
.223 AR
.243 Boltgun

But hope to buy a .22-250 boltgun also..........hell, I stll need a .223 Boltgun !!!

I like hornady V-max bullets for these critters.

From there, it's just a matter of distance and wind / walking or sitting.

I like using Hornady 35gr. V Max out of my 22 Hornet and even though I limit it out to 200yards (where ever I can get a chance to shoot that far). It is a nice little tac driver that is quite and very little kick..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-29-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

There's some truth in that and some not. Advertising does try to sell you on some wazoo super expensive gear because that makes them money. Lots of authors write all about the name brand (expensive) gear they use in a hunting article when you could do the same with your grandpa's rifle, jeans and a comfortable flannel shirt.

On the other hand, using the above logic about only needing one rifle could be extrapolated to mean you only need one size and type of bullet, etc. Carried to an illogical extreme, you only need grandpa's 30-06 for deer, rabbit and pheasant hunting, etc.

For us gun nuts, that would be pure torture, having to own only one gun. There's probably a happy medium somewhere for everybody, depending on your checkbook and how many guns you "just have to own because."

So if you're a 1-gun hunting guru, more power to you. If you're a gun nut with an unlimited size checkbook, that's a nice place to be. And if you're like the rest of us who have some financial limitations but still like to acquire new guns & calibers "just cause," do your research and enjoy that special feeling of buying another gun.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm late on posting my advice and see You opted for a Savage .204,great Rifle and a smart Caliber choice in my opinion!I have a CZ Model 527 .204 "Varmint" with the longer barrel,I tried Hornady 40 grain V-max bullets then went with Winchester 32 grain ballistic tip bullets which shot really nice and put the Coyotes down,I finally settled for Federal loaded 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings that grouped awesome and work very well for their shape!Now I believe Federal loads a 32 & 35 grain Sierra Blitz King bullet to choose from?

The .204 is a great flat shooting caliber with light recoil very good accuracy and flat shooting with plenty of knock down power and it is easy on the hides/fur!

Let Us know how the new .204 works out and what Brand and grain of bullet You choose!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
I'm late on posting my advice and see You opted for a Savage .204,great Rifle and a smart Caliber choice in my opinion!I have a CZ Model 527 .204 "Varmint" with the longer barrel,I tried Hornady 40 grain V-max bullets then went with Winchester 32 grain ballistic tip bullets which shot really nice and put the Coyotes down,I finally settled for Federal loaded 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings that grouped awesome and work very well for their shape!Now I believe Federal loads a 32 & 35 grain Sierra Blitz King bullet to choose from?

The .204 is a great flat shooting caliber with light recoil very good accuracy and flat shooting with plenty of knock down power and it is easy on the hides/fur!

Let Us know how the new .204 works out and what Brand and grain of bullet You choose!
Thank you! I especially appreciate the ammo advice. It's been slim pickings as far as ammo is concerned. I was able to find some Winchester Supreme 32 gr Ballistic Silvertip and Hornady Varmint Express 45 gr. We'll see how those do, but I'll definitely check out the Blitz Kings as soon as I can find some.

The rifle arrived at the FFL today and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I plan to take it out this weekend and in between hunting turkey's I'm going to do a little coyote hunting. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to put one down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.