HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   How do you cook squirrel? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/379584-how-do-you-cook-squirrel.html)

Dodge631 03-04-2013 05:59 AM

How do you cook squirrel?

I love to hunt squirrels but i have someone else prepare my small game rather than me because i just dont know how. i am looking for simple ways to cook squirrels and maybe even a little bit of tips on methods of cleaning so i can get the most out of my hunt.

preferably id like to know ways i could cook on a camp stove and outside. will the MSR pocket rocket be sufficient enough to cook squirrel? thanks.

OhioNovice 03-11-2013 03:08 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but my uncle swears by a cast iron pot, filled with squirrel and cream of mushroom soup.

Tundra10 03-11-2013 10:36 PM

s l o w.....

crockpot/ wood stove

cover em with a broth/gravy and simmer the heck out em

GrandpaDave 03-12-2013 08:04 AM

I like this way. Its fast and easy and doesn't take much time.
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
toss it all in a ziploc bag with your squirrel. For me its just the rear legs.
shake well and set aside.
Cast iron fry pan 1/4 inch of vegetable oil or crisco if you like it like fried chicken.
Heat the oil up probably about 375 deg. I just guess when I think its ready.
Shake your mix bag again and start placing the legs into the pan cook about 90 secs until a nice brown squirrel should boil when it hits the pan. flip and cook for 90 secs or until a nice brown. Pull out place on paper towel to drain a little and Chow
Simple fast easy to prepare at home or out hunting.

redgreen 03-12-2013 09:10 AM

I rolled them in flour seasoned with hot paprika, garlic, ground pepper, montreal steak spice,cayenne and drop them in a cast iron fry pan. A side of deep fried potatoes and dinner is served. If I wanted to take the time, I laid them in a roaster and cooked them at 300 with a little sherry for moisture.

Big Uncle 03-15-2013 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4042443)
get a small pressure cooker, pressure cook for 45-50 min. remove dredge in seasoned flour and fry golden brown...

That is the way they are cooked in my house. The pressure cooker makes them tender.

Mr. Slim 03-16-2013 09:09 AM

my mother used to boil them in salt water then shred the meat off the bone. she would then make pot pie out of them. took a lot of squirrels but it was always good. homemade bisquits to go with it.

gun870guy 03-16-2013 09:30 AM

Dutch Oven... or a pressure cooker and some wine

Hogeman 03-16-2013 11:01 AM

I use to just fry in butter to a golden brown, salt and pepper and chow down. Some good recipes from you guys also.

HogFL 03-16-2013 06:28 PM

Dip in eggs, throw in a bag with bisquick, seasoning salt, paprika or whatever you want, and fry.

jakeman3327 04-01-2013 02:15 PM

I personally just like to throw 'em on the grill

worstcaster 04-10-2013 07:35 PM

I've made them by wrapping the cleaned squirrel in aluminum foil with salsa and frozen corn. Then I baked the packets in a preheated oven @ 375 F for 20-25 minutes. The moisture from the salsa and corn make steam in the packet and make the meat tender.