Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How do you cook squirrel?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:59 AM
Spike

Question How do you cook squirrel?

I love to hunt squirrels but i have someone else prepare my small game rather than me because i just dont know how. i am looking for simple ways to cook squirrels and maybe even a little bit of tips on methods of cleaning so i can get the most out of my hunt.

preferably id like to know ways i could cook on a camp stove and outside. will the MSR pocket rocket be sufficient enough to cook squirrel? thanks.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't tried it yet, but my uncle swears by a cast iron pot, filled with squirrel and cream of mushroom soup.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

s l o w.....

crockpot/ wood stove

cover em with a broth/gravy and simmer the heck out em
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Spike

I like this way. Its fast and easy and doesn't take much time.
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
toss it all in a ziploc bag with your squirrel. For me its just the rear legs.
shake well and set aside.
Cast iron fry pan 1/4 inch of vegetable oil or crisco if you like it like fried chicken.
Heat the oil up probably about 375 deg. I just guess when I think its ready.
Shake your mix bag again and start placing the legs into the pan cook about 90 secs until a nice brown squirrel should boil when it hits the pan. flip and cook for 90 secs or until a nice brown. Pull out place on paper towel to drain a little and Chow
Simple fast easy to prepare at home or out hunting.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rolled them in flour seasoned with hot paprika, garlic, ground pepper, montreal steak spice,cayenne and drop them in a cast iron fry pan. A side of deep fried potatoes and dinner is served. If I wanted to take the time, I laid them in a roaster and cooked them at 300 with a little sherry for moisture.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
get a small pressure cooker, pressure cook for 45-50 min. remove dredge in seasoned flour and fry golden brown...
That is the way they are cooked in my house. The pressure cooker makes them tender.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

my mother used to boil them in salt water then shred the meat off the bone. she would then make pot pie out of them. took a lot of squirrels but it was always good. homemade bisquits to go with it.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Dutch Oven... or a pressure cooker and some wine
Old 03-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Spike

I use to just fry in butter to a golden brown, salt and pepper and chow down. Some good recipes from you guys also.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Dip in eggs, throw in a bag with bisquick, seasoning salt, paprika or whatever you want, and fry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.