HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Porcupines? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/377726-porcupines.html)

mace1700 01-13-2013 11:00 AM

Porcupines?

I was just flipping through the PA digest when I discovered I can hunt porcupines until March 31. I see them quite a bit outside, but when I actually go out with a gun I don't see them. Does anyone know what lures/baits/calls to use? Also, what should I look for (tracks, droppings, etc.)? Is a .22 good enough?

Thanks in advance!

NebBuckHunter 01-13-2013 04:24 PM

I tend to see them closer to dusk and dawn. I run into them from time to time walking to and from my stands. The things are pretty defenseless besides their quills. I don't think it much matters what you use. They can't outrun you. A big stick or baton would work. Not sure what you would do with them.....we don't like them because they kill the few hardwood trees that we have.

mace1700 01-14-2013 12:56 AM

That's the same reason I want to get rid of them. I'll probably be going out later this week, maybe get some squirrels as well.

Topgun 3006 01-14-2013 05:09 AM

PA actually has a season on those vermin? I kill every one I see when I'm hunting up at my place in northern MI and there is no closed season on them, but you do need a small game license!

Champlain Islander 01-14-2013 06:21 AM

They have a love of the wood on my outhouse at camp. Last year my brother went out to take a crap and opened the door and there was a huge one in there. We had him trapped and tried to do a number on him with a "Pork" stick but he almost ran up a leg and got away. Went up a tree. It was bow season and I wasn't about to waste a 20 dollar arrow on him.

OhioNovice 01-16-2013 03:21 PM

I was always told Porcupine tastes pretty good.

Topgun 3006 01-16-2013 03:55 PM

Champlain Islander
Boone & Crockett
They have a love of the wood on my outhouse at camp. Last year my brother went out to take a crap and opened the door and there was a huge one in there. We had him trapped and tried to do a number on him with a "Pork" stick but he almost ran up a leg and got away. Went up a tree. It was bow season and I wasn't about to waste a 20 dollar arrow on him.

***That is exactly why I shoot every one I see. When I first bought my20 acres up in northern MI back in 1973 I built a nice outhouse out of expensive marine plywood the first year. The next Spring when I got up there they had eaten two sides out of it and I ended up making major repairs and then creosoted it good. Once that started wearing off after a few years they were back and I covered the whole thing in steel before they could do any more damage. Ever since then I shoot every one I see because of the damage they do to the trees, etc.

Mickey Finn 01-16-2013 04:12 PM

12 ga. is the way to go. Sometimes in the winter you can spot the up in the hardwoods. Trying to gather heat from the sun I guess.

I'm not a fan of them either.

ATB

BB Outdoors 01-16-2013 05:07 PM

I have hunted them out in Wyoming a few times and every time we went it was around 12-1 in the morning. We would drive around the hay fields and shine them. That was the best way to get them out there anyways.

monoped 01-16-2013 06:22 PM

We left them be as kids,were allways told leave them for lost folk to eat!
Catch them sunning during the day.porky den trees will have quite a pile of droppings in its hollow base.
Any thing humans touch around a camp can get knawed. Missing bark,looking like some one cleared a patch off with edge of chain saw when fresh a good indicator along with droppings,have seen porkys feeding on more than bark too.
There was a market for certain quills and hides,research could give you ideas for preservation for buyers.
I believe its their liver you never want to eat,to much vitamin A?or something.