HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Should I stop shootin them (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/377612-should-i-stop-shootin-them.html)

Austinhuntman 01-10-2013 11:44 AM

Should I stop shootin them

So I moved and now live in a neighborhood (which I hate). An I have an air gun and a pest problem. Squirrels in my roof. So I saw on and I humanely shot it and it squirmed a few time and expired it was a perfect quartering away headshot just behind the eye. And some woman came out on her porch and asked me not to shoot anymore so I explained that it was an airgun and about our pest problem and how my mom wanted me to eliminate a few and she said she was going to call the police if it persisted. I shot the squirrel on my property edge and while it was squirming it wound up on a neighbors property not even her property. So I got it and threw it away because it was to small the eat. So should I keep shooting them or just stop.

And btw. Squirrel season is in here so it wasn't illegal

Nomercy448 01-10-2013 02:21 PM

For what it's worth, most municipalities either have specific code or "catch-all" codes that prohibit hunting and/or the discharge of air rifles (or bows, or anything else) in town. Other county or state codes may also be in effect for proximity law.

Frankly, you just moved there, and good neighbors are usually more important than bagging a few squirrels. If it's really a pest control problem, poison is more effective.

notmyname 01-10-2013 02:55 PM

Keep it legal,
Check local regs,
Even airguns are restricted in certain municipalities.
Many places issue permits for pest removal. See what your city/state offers for such.
Once you have such a pest permit, maybe even make a couple bucks for the service to others.

Topgun 3006 01-10-2013 03:46 PM

You really shouldn't be shooting anything or asking us since we don't live where you do to know what is legal or not. Before you do anything you should really know the rules!

Sheridan 01-10-2013 06:53 PM

Yes.................

Take a hunter safety course and buddy up with some of the experienced hunter who are there.

You'll be better off in the long run.

Austinhuntman 01-11-2013 10:47 AM

I have taken my hunters safety course and I have my license

Nomercy448 01-11-2013 02:02 PM

I think there's a point to be made here: There's a big gap between 'squirrell hunting' and 'shooting squirrels in my backyard'....

OhioNovice 01-11-2013 03:18 PM

Where I'm at you cant do anything especially hunt! I'm in a close neighborhood and air guns and everything is off limits in city limits.

I had a (crotchety) neighbor see me practicing with my bow in my back yard and called the law. The cop was nice but he said if he gets another call he would have to ticket me for "discharging a deadly weapon in city limits."

Topgun 3006 01-11-2013 03:46 PM

Man that is some BS if you can't even practice with your bow in your own backyard as long as there is no chance of an arrow getting off the property.

Nomercy448 01-12-2013 08:18 AM

It's a liability even if it isn't illegal. Botch a draw in your backyard and shoot one over the fence into your neighbors yard and your life is going to change, especially if it causes some sort of damage or injury. Ricochet, deflections, he11, even a sneeze can ruin your day.

I'll occasionally step outside the law and shoot in my yard, for example when I want to chrony a new set of arrows or new draw weight, and I shoot 10yrds in my basement regularly with my bow, but I wouldn't make a habit of it in town.

"Better safe than sued"....