Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit hunting without dogs

Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default Rabbit hunting without dogs

It seems like every book or article on rabbit hunting is for hunting with dogs. Does anyone have any good sources of info for rabbit hunting without dogs? I'm a newbie at hunting these little puff balls so any info is appreciated.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Spike

You're going to need to be a quick shot, that's for sure. Try to go after rabbits in open areas if you can, since they will be easier to follow. You want to be walking around and kicking whatever could make the rabbit flush. Might also want to bring along a friend, as rabbits, like some animals, are notable for doubling back.

Sources:
http://voices.yahoo.com/techniques-t...og-689332.html
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hun...s-without-dogs
Old 01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Ive never had any luck going solo. I always take a friend and take turns kicking them up, one guys the "spooker" and the other one the shooter.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted them with a 22 when there is fresh snow on the ground. Tracked them then caught them sitting. Just hunt slow.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Spike

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ID=&subcatID=0
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Banned

i bow hunt rabbits solo,
easier in light snow where you can easily see tracks,
i sometimes follow the tracks, and sometimes sit and wait by the tracks for them to return,
they generally use the same paths, and dont venture far from their bunny hole.

when there isnt snow, i sometimes look for bunny trails in the brush/grasses, such trails can be other critters trails but you take your chances and hope its a bunny trail, and scout around the trail.
bunny populations tend to go up and down fairly quickly,
as it grows the predators generally move in,
as population drops predators move on elsewhere,
i have better chances spotting bunnies early morning and late afternoon, when they tend to be most active.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by notmyname
i bow hunt rabbits solo,
easier in light snow where you can easily see tracks,
i sometimes follow the tracks, and sometimes sit and wait by the tracks for them to return,
they generally use the same paths, and dont venture far from their bunny hole.

when there isnt snow, i sometimes look for bunny trails in the brush/grasses, such trails can be other critters trails but you take your chances and hope its a bunny trail, and scout around the trail.
bunny populations tend to go up and down fairly quickly,
as it grows the predators generally move in,
as population drops predators move on elsewhere,
i have better chances spotting bunnies early morning and late afternoon, when they tend to be most active.

All great info.

Practice mounting your gun quickly from a "field" position - then go out and beat the brush.

Good eating !
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rabbits get nervous whenever you stop walking. A rabbit will let you just walk right past them, but if you stop walking they think you spotted them and it will try and run away. I take about ten steps then stop for 5 or 6 seconds, if a rabbit is nearby it will start running 3-4 seconds after you stop walking. Always take a few extra seconds if a spot looks like a good hideout, kick any brush piles you find, and don't be afraid to throw a stick or two if the briar patch is too large to jump on or walk through.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
Rabbits get nervous whenever you stop walking. A rabbit will let you just walk right past them, but if you stop walking they think you spotted them and it will try and run away. I take about ten steps then stop for 5 or 6 seconds, if a rabbit is nearby it will start running 3-4 seconds after you stop walking. Always take a few extra seconds if a spot looks like a good hideout, kick any brush piles you find, and don't be afraid to throw a stick or two if the briar patch is too large to jump on or walk through.

....................and there you have it; rocks work too if there are no sticks around.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gear up for the thick stuff. Kick , jump , bust up , pound , beat , every inch of cover big enough to hold a bunny.

I had success being the Dog/shooter when I was young. Usually he bunnies will bust out when you are least ready so a 12 gauge with 7s was my choice.

You can still hunt them in the snow with a 22/22mag. Look for those pretty black eyes not far from an area that you think may hold a burrow.

Yesterday the boy and I took both hounds out for an evening hunt. This won't happen to you if you don't have hounds. Both found themselves in leg hold traps and I now have 2 beagles with hopefully only sore feet.

Hounds are great but you can fill the game bag. You will just have to work harder.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.