Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote hunting with .410 shotgun

Old 12-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Spike

Default Coyote hunting with .410 shotgun

I posted a general question in a different forum part. This one is more directed towards .410 shot shells.

I am moving back to CT and plan on doing a good amount of Coyote hunting with some good friends (along with hunting other spieces to be discussed later...)

I have a .410 Mossberg Model G4. I have yet to use it for hunting anything other than paper targets.

What type of .410 load should I purchase for Coyote hunting? A load that is good for up to 50 yards (Just a guestimate on prefered range)
I was thinking about using something like Winchester Super-X 2-1/2" 1/5 Ounce Rifled Hollow Point Slugs.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Spike

I found some 28g #5s yesterday, was hoping to find some #4s. That was the largest I could find anywhere in Michigan that I checked on short notice. I had it in the 28g yesterday, but no takers. I'll report back IF and when I use it. I figure that the larger the BB, the longer it will hold onto that speed. Not sure they'll do the job at 50 yards.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys---For the OP, you need to use a 410 slug, as I don't believe there is anything else big enough for the 410 to take a coyote cleanly!

For kevin 2---The shot you are suggesting on using in the 28 gauge is for small game and they are not going to do anything but wound a coyote unless he's right on top of you. Even suggesting 50 yards is ridiculous, as it's not even for small game at that kind of distance for the most part. Find a slug that is accurate in that 28 gauge if you want to use it on coyotes, just like I mentioned on the use of a 410.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-25-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Spike

Thanks Topgun. I figured that Slugs would be the best choice. Can you recommend any brand or type or do you think that the type I mentioned above would be good?

Thanks.
Dave
Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

For what you spend to shoot the .410, you'll save money by buying something more common! But, if it's what you got, then try the slugs through it. Or if you can find someone who loads for it, they could load whatever you wanted.
-Jake
Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kevin2---You will just need to try different ones to see which is the most accurate in your gun. Any of them, if put in the vitals will do the job. I didn't mention the buckshot that RR posted about because IMO there are too few pellets and the range would have to be very close compared to the better distance and accuracy you should get with a slug. You do need to remember that both coyotes and even more so fox aren't as big as you think if you've never skinned one out. They have a pretty small rib cage and I'd suggest coming down right above the front leg and putting that slug right on their shoulder for a bigger area and you'll still take out the vitals with it and he should go down right there.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
some company in az or NM (possibly ballistics lab) loads 3" 410 ammo loaded with I think 000 buckshot, 3 pellets just something to consider.
RR
Not sure which load you're referring to, but Federal and Winchester still produce 000 buckshot for 3" .410. It's hard to call 3 pellets a "pattern", but for lack of better words, they don't pattern too poorly in my experience.

50yrds? Not hardly. Wing and a prayer at that range. I used to use 00buck winchester loads in .410 (also 3 pellet), they worked, but 50yrds, not so much. One pellet isn't enough to do the job reliably, and getting all 3 pellets to pattern tight enough at 50yrds just doesn't happen.

Rifled slugs will be fine for 50yrds, assuming you can shoot them accurately.

In my experience, as bad as I want there to be, there is no effective 50yrd .410 shotshell, not even buckshot. The 00 and 000 buck loads, MAYBE the #4 Buckshot Federal load are marginal, and the number of pellets just aren't enough to deliver consistent killing power at 50yrds. If they pattern exceptionally well for you, like all 3 pellets fall in 4-6" patterns with the 00 and 000 buck, or 5 out of 9 pellets fall in a 4-6" pattern at 50yrds, then yes, buckshot will be effective, otherwise, you simply need more shot (read: you need a bigger scattergun).
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe you need a bigger "scattergun" also !

Just in case.................here's for your 410;

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/37898
Old 12-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
...You do need to remember that both coyotes and even more so fox aren't as big as you think...
Definitely agree here. Frankly, this mode of thinking is especially applicable for deer hunting as well.

Coyotes (and deer) really aren't as big as a lot of guys might think they are. And their vitals (read lungs and liver) are NOT the same shape as a deer.

A coyotes heart might be ~3" round and ~4" long, tilted slightly forward at the top, and actually quite low in the body. Their lungs, unlike deer, are hugged relatively close to the front of the ribcage, shaped like a sail. They'll be about 6-8" tall, and 12"-14" long. As a rule of thumb, the lungs take up the front half of the ribcage. The bottom of the lung does not reach, let along extend past the end of the sternum (can see it on most gaunt coyotes, a little harder to pick out on fatted prime dogs). The top of the lung angles backwards, reaching backwards from the end of the sternum about half way to the rear of the ribcage.

Getting enough pellets onto the heart and lungs to stop a coyote fast enough to find them is difficult. 5 buckshot pellets in an 8" circle might result in a long running dog.

Finding rifled slugs accurate enough in a .410 to drop coyotes is a no brainer. Buckshot just isn't what I'd call "effective" in the .410 unless they're dang close.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Spike

When it comes to accuracy of the shot, I am a d-e-a-d shot. I was on my HS rifle team and won dozens of competitons. Most of my experience when it comes to hunting, has been using .308 AR-10s or .223 boltactions and AR-15s. My accuracy isn't really an issue as much as being a stealthy hunter who can get my target close enough. I figured that since I am going to be using either my .410 or my .22WMR, a .410 rifled slug would be the best choice and I didn't even consider buckshot.

The .410 I have is a little old, it was my dads, I believe it was manufactured in the
1960's or 1970's. Its a bolt action .410 Mossberg G4. I am not 100% sure if it is drilled and tapped for a scope, I need to check when I get back to FL; its been sitting in a gunsock for over a year in my safe.

On another note...Would a .22WMR be a good Coyote caliber? The rifle is a Savage 93GL Left Hand bolt action (yes, I am left handed). The scope I paired with it is Tasco .22 Rimfire Riflescope 3-9x32 30/30 Reticle 1/4 MOA. I am not sure which ammo type would be the best. I was thinking about using something like 30grain or 40 grain HP that has around 2,200fps velocity.

Thanks,
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.