Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote hunting with .410 shotgun

Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
the 22 wmr would do to about 100 yards and I highly reccomend the federal 50 gr. loads.
RR
^This..............
Old 12-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not really a fan of the 22WMR for coyotes unless you can put it right on the shoulder and break him down. Then you may still have to put another one in him quickly to avoid a runoff. I take it no centerfires are allowed where you are going to be hunting because if they are my 22 Hornet would be just the ticket on those yotes!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I'm not really a fan of the 22WMR for coyotes unless you can put it right on the shoulder and break him down. Then you may still have to put another one in him quickly to avoid a runoff. I take it no centerfires are allowed where you are going to be hunting because if they are my 22 Hornet would be just the ticket on those yotes!
I really have no idea. All I know is that the CT statute says that I cannot use anything larger than a .22 on state grounds. I will be doing mostly pivate property hunting anyway so I believe that I can use a centerfire cartridge. All my other guns are chambered in larger calibers like .223, .308, 30-30, 30-06, 6mm Norma and .338Lapua.

In CT, I can't use them because of their mag cap. All hold over 4 rounds. I think, that if I am to buy another Yote hunting rifle, I would buy a Rossi single shot .223 or would that caliber be to large?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

.223 would do the trick with no problem and if you can hunt with the one you have in some areas that's what I would be using.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

.223rem is THE coyote calling cartridge. If a lot of bobcats or fox are on the menu, then look something a little more fur friendly, .22hornet, or the new .17 hornet, but if coyotes will be your common fodder, the .223rem is where it's at.

For what it's worth, if you're hanging up on an AR-15 magazine capacity, I'd just go find a low cap AR magazine.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
.223rem is THE coyote calling cartridge. If a lot of bobcats or fox are on the menu, then look something a little more fur friendly, .22hornet, or the new .17 hornet, but if coyotes will be your common fodder, the .223rem is where it's at.

For what it's worth, if you're hanging up on an AR-15 magazine capacity, I'd just go find a low cap AR magazine.
Well, My AR-15 isn't really a hunting rifle. I do private armed security work for my friends dads company and I use this AR-15. Its a NFA Class 3 SBR that is fully decked out for tactical use. I don't know if I can transfer a tax stamp in a P2P sale and I don't know if it is legal in CT. I did have a regular AR-15 carbine, but I sold it last month to my neighbor.

Besides an AR-15 type, and Ruger mini 14, what other .223 semi autos are there? I have a really nice tactical NcStar optic that is made for .223/5.56 AR-15's. I used it for Hog Hunting. I think that when I move to CT and get my pistol permit and hunting license, I will take a trip to Cabelas and buy an AR-15 Varminteer or something.

Dave.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

You can get a 22 mag for pretty darn cheap and be able to shoot a lot more accurately. Slugs from the .410 would work but will cost one heck of a lot more than the 22 in the long run. When you get up to a 12 guage, you can effectively have the power needed and also the range due to more powder and lead, but I have never heard of anyone even actually killing a yote with a .410... BB