Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

need some coyote hunting advice

Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Spike

Default need some coyote hunting advice

hello everyone. i come from a hunting background and coyote hunting has interested me for years. ive spent a lot of hours watching coyote hunting videos and dvds growing up and i just recently got equipped with some gear to finally get out there and call some dogs. i understand the basics of that i should be doing on the hunt but i wanted to throw a word out there to anyone who felt like sharing some advice for a beginner. thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cut & paste this every time I see this question - hope this helps;

Go to extactly where you see them in full camo, including a head cover and gloves.

Pattern their movements in the area and learn how to best plan your final approach.

Otherwise, all you will do is educate them - understand............ because they learn quickly !!!

Set-up in good cover with a good view, especially down wind of your location.

You would be wise to bring a low slung chair or at least a cushion, so you can remain motionless for extended periods of time.

Put a stick and strink with a turkey feather on it (any decoy will help - the Mojo Critter is what I use) about 100 feet out front & upwind of your location.

Call softly until you get better or on low for E-callers, (in case they are near by) so you don't blow them out...................they'll know exactly where the call is coming from, so no need to continuing calling once you see them, (remain motionless) lip squeak them in the rest of the way.

Most importantly, you need to see them before they see you !!!

Bring shooting sticks so you can prop your gun on them to steady your shot.

1 in 10 attempts is good for a hawk getting a mousse, so don't get discourged

BTW - 00 buckshot is my suggestion, but you still need to pattern it to find out which of your chokes "works" best.

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-01-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Spike

thanks! i found some useful information in your reply. time will tell if it was a worthy decision or not, but i chose to buy a selection of primos mouth calls (hot dog, little dog, ki-yi) hoping to have luck with those despite my inexperience
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Add a couple distress calls to your line up. Over 90% of the dogs I have ever taken were lured by distress; rather than coyote vocals. Not saying vocals don't work, but they just aren't as productive in my experience.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Add a couple distress calls to your line up. Over 90% of the dogs I have ever taken were lured by distress; rather than coyote vocals. Not saying vocals don't work, but they just aren't as productive in my experience.
what distress calls do you use?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DavesFroggin
Those indigenous to yer area.

Good Luck !
Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DavesFroggin
I use a wide variety of calls (I am a production as well as custom call collector). I currently have over 70 production calls and over 40 custom calls, and I might take any given combination of calls into the field.

For production calls, my favorites are the Verminator Syco Tweety (split open reed) and the Primos Double Cottontail (Randy Anderson series). I have several of each of these calls, and I highly recommend them to any new caller out there. They can be had at basically any hunting shop that has predator calls or a ton of places online (cabelas for one), and they're 1) easy to learn, and 2) incredibly productive.

For a semi-custom call, look at Crack Predator Calls, I LOVE their Acrylic Crazed Crack call, great control, and fantastic volume range both up and down.

Between 1991 and about 1998/99, 90% of my coyotes dropped to a Dan Thompson Weems Replica. In '98/99, I got a Knight & Hale Ultimate Predator Kit, and a Primos Double Cottontail. The Primos was my go to call until 2009/10 when I started collecting custom calls. Since then, I have been mixing it up, but the Verminator Syco Tweety and the Primos Double Cottontail are still hanging on my "back-up lanyard".

On my lanyard TODAY for my hunting trip in Nebraska this week: I have a Bitterroot Customs (Tony Jones) Weems Replica closed reed, a Kerry Carver Rabbit Rabbit Extreme open reed, a Brad Gainey closed reed (favorite call ever!!!), and a Jay Neisetter/Rhino Calls White Rhino as a coaxer. I also use a set of TC Calls (Now MFK-but I'm not a fan of these guys as people) Diaphram howlers occasionally, so they're in a reed case in my pocket at all times.

In the interest of saving space, I won't go into custom calls other than that, but if you're interested, just ask, or shoot me a PM. I'm ALWAYS interested in talking coyote calls!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, as a side note...

Don't be too hung up on what species are native to your area. Worry about pitch and emotion, and focus on sounding like an easy meal. The Verminator Syco Tweety CAN sound like anything from fawn distress to woodpecker distress, but I usually play it with a pitch somewhere in the jackrabbit and cottontail pitch, but frankly, it doesn't sound specifically like a jackrabbit or cottontail at all. It dang sure sounds like some small animal getting torn to shreds though, which is what brings dogs running!

Guys spout it off all the time "don't use jackrabbit calls in the east where you only have cottontails", but frankly, I don't buy it. I've used the same lanyard of calls in a dozen or so different states, and network with callers all over the country. If you sound like a meal, it won't matter if you're spot on for a jackrabbit or a cottontail or not.

The higher the pitch, the easier the target, but the smaller the meal (birds, mice), the larger you get, the harder the target, but more reward (fawn distress). I generally play in the "rabbit" range of pitches, favoring the higher end more than the lower end.

Pup distress (coyote) will work very well certain times of year, and isn't worth a hoot at other times.

I personally focus on distress calls because coyotes eat year round. Sure, at certain times of year, different specific calls will work better than they do in other parts of the year (turkey calls during breeding, hatching, or moulting, fawn distress during birthing, pup distress during early-mid summer, female calls during breeding, etc etc etc), but again, a coyote has to eat all year round. I use rabbit distress 90% of the time, and a "season specific call" about the other 10%

Fox and bobcat calling is different, but we're talking coyotes here, so I won't waste the space on the specific nuances of calling small dogs or creek kitties here. If you're interested, ask, or shoot me a PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Worry about pitch and emotion, and focus on sounding like an easy meal." Nomercy

................and there you have it !

For me, calling is the least of my concerns ~ if you do everything else right, you'll be successful !!!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Spike

wow. Thanks for all that info NoMercy. I appreciate it very much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.