Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
What's better for squirrel .177 or .22 pellet rifle >

What's better for squirrel .177 or .22 pellet rifle

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What's better for squirrel .177 or .22 pellet rifle

Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Spike

Default What's better for squirrel .177 or .22 pellet rifle

Due to my new neighbor calling the police on me for shooting my .22 rifle in my back yard (I live in the woods and I'm shooting down into the ground away from houses) I no longer can squirrel hunt with that rifle around my house. So my question is what is a good air rifle to purchase for squirrel/rabbit hunting a .177 or a .22
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

"Better" is often subjective. Both will work but the .22 will have more knockdown energy and probably a little more range. Are you planning on hunting anything else with your airgun? Reason I ask is my state (CA) allows you to hunt turkeys with airguns of .20 caliber or larger. Such a consideration may influence your choice.

I've linked ad article below from the Beeman's website. It has some pretty good information. Good luck in your choice and let us know how it turns out.

http://www.beemans.net/field%20use.htm
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illegal in PA. But I'm sure my R9 in 177 cal will suffice if PA steps into the future.

A well placed shot either , but I'd lean toward the 22 cal.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Spike

I plan on shooting just squirrel and rabbit with the occastional ground hog and could anybody point me to a good GAMO air rifle for that
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Spike

Until I read this I was going to say just use a shotgun,and im im going to be like phil robertson youre neighbors are a bunch of yuppies but I would say a .177 air rifle by gamo and get you some good pellets
Old 11-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Jdecountryboy
Until I read this I was going to say just use a shotgun,and im im going to be like phil robertson youre neighbors are a bunch of yuppies but I would say a .177 air rifle by gamo and get you some good pellets
Thank you for your reply and as for the yuppie comment i totally agree with you he told us every time we shoot he has to give his dog a "nerve pill to calm them down"
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Spike

I would just give them a load of 12 gauge bird shot To calm em down haha
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

c61h , what makes you illegal to use your 22 rimfire?