Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
New to Trapping. Need info on general skills. >

New to Trapping. Need info on general skills.

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New to Trapping. Need info on general skills.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Spike

Default New to Trapping. Need info on general skills.

Hello, i am new to trapping, id like to try to get some fox and coyote. I have 10 older traps, i believe they are Victor #1 1/2. Will these be good for coyote? Do you have to have a tag with your name on the trap? I also see some people using screen and wax paper on the pan. is this just so dirt dosent get under the pan? I can use some info on the basic guidelines to trapping. Thank you for your time.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

depends on where you are...where are you?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Laws vary from state to state. Yotes make sure the trap is WELL anchored.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Spike

I live in pa.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Spike

If in illinois yes to tags and a 11/2 is ok to use but a bigger trap will increase chance of catch. wax paper is ok u also can use aluminum foil. I use peat moss or sifted dry dirt to cover trap. u can get the dirt out of old barn or building (dirt not wet wont freeze) When placing trap in front of hole that u have dug place trap 9 to 12 inches back from hole a yote has a long neck to look in hole. I use along chain on trap so he cant pull up on it. I use muskrat for lure and yote urine. Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hope this helps;

http://www.trapperman.com/

http://www.minntrapprod.com/index.php

http://www.bear-tracker.com/

Good luck...................Enjoy it !
Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help guys,and the links sheridan.. I'll probably be on here with a ton more questions so bear with me.Lol I just ordered 4 dogg proof racoon traps and 6 duke # 3's. I cant wait. Do you guys like to boil with die or use speed dip? Thanks again guys.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by jwatts
Thanks for the help guys,and the links sheridan.. I'll probably be on here with a ton more questions so bear with me.Lol I just ordered 4 dogg proof racoon traps and 6 duke # 3's. I cant wait. Do you guys like to boil with die or use speed dip? Thanks again guys.
I die yote or fox traps, no wax I found wax holds odor, If u round up some walnuts (with hulls on )and put them in water in what ever ur gonna boil them in for a few days it makes pretty good dye (turns water black). Leave walnuts in water while boiling,Its best u boil them twice first to get oil (if new) or what ever else is on them off, then boil them again in fresh water to die. You don't have to boil them for long time five-ten min. Let them set in tub or what ever till fire burns down, I usually let them lay till next day up to u. Now for the dog pruff traps if use catfish bait you wont have to worry about mice, just drop a ball of it in trap under trigger and ur ready to go.I get the bait at rural king I belive it called wonder catfish bait comes in plastic bag its the best we found, I use old fish grease for a call lure. U dont have to boil those when setting them you'll have to mark where u set them cause there pretty hard to find sometimes we use a flor, orange tape or paint them flor. green or orange. We stick the trap straight up not at 40 deg. But this is what we do youll find what works best for u in time. Ill be more than happy to help ya