Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Big yellow eyes in the woods staring at me. Help. >

Big yellow eyes in the woods staring at me. Help.

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Big yellow eyes in the woods staring at me. Help.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

First I want to say shame on you for taking warning shots!!! Where did those bullets go?
Second trail cameras are cheap these days so getting one to figure out what may or may not be staring at you is a way better idea versus just putting rounds down range... Especially when you admit that your are not sure what your shooting at!
Third you should also get a better flash light... At 50 feet if you can not see what your putting the beam on your light is poor!
Fourth since the critter is not around during the day why not go look at the tracks in day light hours or even call the local conservation officer to see if he has any information about problem critters!
Good luck in figuring out what is staring at you!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Probably not good to fire warning shots into the dark, muchless into the air since those bullets can land anywhere. Couldve been friends playing pranks on you and well, you could've shot them. Hey it happens.

You should really rethink "warning shots"
Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

I would say that it sounds more like a bobcat or coyote. Just be careful that it isn't an onset of rabies that the animal is coming down with. That could be one reason it's not afraid of you. I would call your local DNR and have them check it out. And please be careful about shooting warning shots. I've heard of people being unintentionally hit with bullets being shot from guns some distance away.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

I guess according to Good old VP Joe Biden it is perfectly ok to fire warning shots when you get spooked by noises.... Did said critter make any noise????
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

My guess would be porcupine from from the way
It acted, they aren't scared of much. Lighter
Color in the rear would be because of a lot
Of quills on the tail. If you have oaks they
Could be rustling in the leaves looking for
Acorns which they like to eat.

Please no more warning shots in the dark.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Spike

Geez, people are afraid of their own shadows nowadays.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Spike

Default warning shots

Apparently it isn't afraid of you but you sure as heck are afraid of it and afraid of the dark too. Be careful, the boogieman might get you!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe it was an alcoholic standing in the woods?