Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Finding gray squirrels in Maine (and in general) >

Finding gray squirrels in Maine (and in general)

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Finding gray squirrels in Maine (and in general)

Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
If I don't see/hear anything in 30 minutes I move a little bit. I usually am still hunting anyway, that's where I have the most luck. I go through the woods very slowly and as silently as possible, watching. You'll see them running around. Time of day is important. I don't typically hunt squirrel real early or real late like I would for deer. I see the most squirrel right now from about 9-11 and then 2-5 or so. Those seem to be the good times for the area I'm in.
-Jake
I second that, definately. time of day is super important. early in the morning and late in the evening. around here in connecticut, not that far from maine (right?) i sometimes get out there at 7:00 and see them around but after like 11:00, they vanish. i actually noticed this after several days in a row of hunting, and seeing them gone. off topic, but me and my brother made up this crazy theory that they bring all their acorns to the moon during the day and thats why they are so hard to find. lol. hes also right about the evening, though i only see them out from like5:00 to 7:00 around here. these are greys im talking about btw
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Hardwood orientated grays often den in hollow trees,look for chewed edges on woodpecker nest holes. Find the food source,usually mast crops in fall.
Then look for a "treat" source like a hickory or walnut if they are scarce.
When i was mobile moseying along deer runs was a preferred method.
Believe it or not it was not unusual for one to sound the alarm. Also caught a few cussing each other. After a morning feed before nap time (for them),listen for them barking. A large hollow beech tree near a ravine or sink hole could have a few bunking in it. Have fun, thanks for your service.

Last edited by monoped; 10-17-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Dodge631
I second that, definately. time of day is super important. early in the morning and late in the evening. around here in connecticut, not that far from maine (right?) i sometimes get out there at 7:00 and see them around but after like 11:00, they vanish. i actually noticed this after several days in a row of hunting, and seeing them gone. off topic, but me and my brother made up this crazy theory that they bring all their acorns to the moon during the day and thats why they are so hard to find. lol. hes also right about the evening, though i only see them out from like5:00 to 7:00 around here. these are greys im talking about btw
I went out today at 10, and didn't see a one. But I saw a lot of things that seemed to indicate they were around..a nest, tons of acorns and some that seemed chewed up. I'll try to get out there real early next time. I meant to get out there at 6:30 this morning but I had a late night

Originally Posted by monoped
Hardwood orientated grays often den in hollow trees,look for chewed edges on woodpecker nest holes. Find the food source,usually mast crops in fall.
Then look for a "treat" source like a hickory or walnut if they are scarce.
When i was mobile moseying along deer runs was a preferred method.
Believe it or not it was not unusual for one to sound the alarm. Also caught a few cussing each other. After a morning feed before nap time (for them),listen for them barking. A large hollow beech tree near a ravine or sink hole could have a few bunking in it. Have fun, thanks for your service.
I will keep my eyes open for woodpecker nest holes. I don't think there are too many hickory or walnut trees around where I live. I thought I found a hickory this morning but I'm not sure it was. And my pleasure
Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Josh93
Alright thanks for the advice. Where have you had most like finding them? The area I thought looked promising was a grove of red oaks. Didn't see any nests, but it just seemed like squirrel haven. Do you typically wait awhile, then seem? Or do you walk around until you find one and then sit near it?
i usually use squirrel hunting as a way to scout for deer and turkey, so im constantly moving slowly thru the woods. Normally what happens is, i will hear/see them way before i get there, so ill slowly zero in on them and set up for a shot. If you got a hunting buddy, you can try a squirrel drive too, thats a lot of fun and if there is a squirrel in the woods where you are, youll get a shot at it.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i usually use squirrel hunting as a way to scout for deer and turkey, so im constantly moving slowly thru the woods. Normally what happens is, i will hear/see them way before i get there, so ill slowly zero in on them and set up for a shot. If you got a hunting buddy, you can try a squirrel drive too, thats a lot of fun and if there is a squirrel in the woods where you are, youll get a shot at it.
Might be a dumb question, but can you give me an idea of how slowly you move? Like, 20 feet in a minute?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

When still hunting the rule of thumb is

If you think you are moving slow enough...............slow down.

Applicable to any species.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Some times they will go into a hollow tree, or a hole.
If this happens.
Carry a small round mirror about 4 inches or so.
And on a sunny day reflect the sun into the hole, then get ready to shoot because the squirrel will run out fighting mad.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Josh93
Might be a dumb question, but can you give me an idea of how slowly you move? Like, 20 feet in a minute?
well it depends on the terrain, how thick the woods are etc. Im moving superslow while im trying to locate one...looking and listening 360 degrees....when something moves or makes a noise where i can see/hear it, im in place until i figure out if its a squirrel or not. If i think there is a squirrel close by it may take me 10 minutes to work 10 feet. If im pretty sure the area im in is dead, i may walk at a slow pace getting to a good spot or the next ridgetop where i can start scan mode again, so it could be 2 minutes to go 50 yards.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Spike

Well guys, thanks for the advice! Got one the other day Going out in about an hour and a half to try again. The one I got was early evening..last two hours of sunlight, as this was the most recommended time besides early morning, which I had no luck with.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Spike

Hey Man,

I am trying to train to cur dogs on squirrel and coon. If you want to hunt Maine sometime just let me know.

I have been taking them out to state forests and just turning them loose at night for coon. They have been mostly jumping deer and other trash but until they start hitting on coons I am not going to correct them. I dont want to turn their drive off.

I sort of forgot about squirrel hunting until yesterday when they saw some squirrels in the dog park. They went nuts.

Let me know what you think.

Andrew