Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Finding gray squirrels in Maine (and in general) >

Finding gray squirrels in Maine (and in general)

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Finding gray squirrels in Maine (and in general)

Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default Finding gray squirrels in Maine (and in general)

Hey all..feeling a bit frustrated with squirrel hunting. This is my first season with a hunting license (new to hunting but not the woods), and I'm just going after squirrels with my .22..been to a few spots, and have only seen one squirrel. I think my problem is that the spots I have gone to are mostly pine, and I know they prefer oak. I found a good spot this morning and sat out in a grove of red oaks for awhile, but nothing. Didn't see or hear any (or see nests for that matter). It just seemed like the perfect spot for them...

Do you guys think that its just a question of me being inexperienced and being too loud, then not waiting long enough? I feel like they have to be out there, and maybe I just am making too much noise and not waiting long enough for the bushy tails to feel comfortable enough to come out. I live in Maine and squirrels have always been around every corner until now that I'm hunting them

I read the Squirrel Hunting Tips thread and next time I go out I'm going to cover my face/hands, move very slowly, and sit in an area for longer than I have been (30+ mins). Any other tips? Am I doin it right?

Also, side question, anyone know any good spots around Maine for hunting them? I've only got about a month left until I leave for the Army so I'd like to get a few..

Thanks all
Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

It's good to move slowly and watch ahead of you. Sit still. They'll come out.
What I do if one runs up a tree is to run right to the base of the tree so that he will stay up there. They will hide on the back side of the tree. You'll just have to sneak around the tree til' you can get a shot.
Red squirrels love pines.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 AM
Spike

sometimes you can beat them at their own game. wait in a tree. ive done that and seen a few come my way. you dont even need to be all camo'd out. i did it in jeans and a white shirt before.

when they orbit around the tree to get away from you, tie a string to a bush or branch on one side, move to the other side then pull the string so he thinks you are on the other side and he will move to your side and you can shoot.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Spike

Alright, good tips, thanks all. Is it possible that there really are no squirrels where I'm looking? I can't imagine that they're just aren't any out there
Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

yeah its possible there are just no squirrels, i mean there isnt a squirrel in every section of the woods. My advice would be to try and keep you vision way out....its rare you are going to see a wild squirrel up close, they are going to be on the other side of the tree or sitting motionless, the time to have spotted it was 50 yards earlier. I also hear most of my squirrels before i see them...whether its the scratch of claws, the cutting, the pieces falling, or them barking. Its rare ill even go on a windy day because it cuts my hearing so bad.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
yeah its possible there are just no squirrels, i mean there isnt a squirrel in every section of the woods. My advice would be to try and keep you vision way out....its rare you are going to see a wild squirrel up close, they are going to be on the other side of the tree or sitting motionless, the time to have spotted it was 50 yards earlier. I also hear most of my squirrels before i see them...whether its the scratch of claws, the cutting, the pieces falling, or them barking. Its rare ill even go on a windy day because it cuts my hearing so bad.
Alright thanks for the advice. Where have you had most like finding them? The area I thought looked promising was a grove of red oaks. Didn't see any nests, but it just seemed like squirrel haven. Do you typically wait awhile, then seem? Or do you walk around until you find one and then sit near it?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

If I don't see/hear anything in 30 minutes I move a little bit. I usually am still hunting anyway, that's where I have the most luck. I go through the woods very slowly and as silently as possible, watching. You'll see them running around. Time of day is important. I don't typically hunt squirrel real early or real late like I would for deer. I see the most squirrel right now from about 9-11 and then 2-5 or so. Those seem to be the good times for the area I'm in.
-Jake
Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maine focus on Reds.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Josh93

I read the Squirrel Hunting Tips thread and next time I go out I'm going to cover my face/hands, move very slowly, and sit in an area for longer than I have been (30+ mins). Any other tips? Am I doin it right?

Thanks all
Carry a good pair of binoculars, 6 to 8 power.
Like 8 x 21mm, 7 x 35mm etc.
They don't have to cost a lot.
The one I use is a old pair, Sunscope 6 x 30.
When you get within shooting distance the squirrels, will hide in tree forks, or just hug to the tree trunk, and blend in to the bark.
I took my binoculars just to try them out, and found out why I wasn't seeing any, they were there I just didn't see them.
I was surprised at how many squirrels I had missed because I couldn't find them.
When I see or hear a squirrel, I only sit about 10, to 15 minutes, looking up and down the trees.
Then I move on.
Try a set of binoculars, your squirrel rate will go up.

Good Luck
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jrbsr
Carry a good pair of binoculars, 6 to 8 power.
Like 8 x 21mm, 7 x 35mm etc.
They don't have to cost a lot.
The one I use is a old pair, Sunscope 6 x 30.
When you get within shooting distance the squirrels, will hide in tree forks, or just hug to the tree trunk, and blend in to the bark.
I took my binoculars just to try them out, and found out why I wasn't seeing any, they were there I just didn't see them.
I was surprised at how many squirrels I had missed because I couldn't find them.
When I see or hear a squirrel, I only sit about 10, to 15 minutes, looking up and down the trees.
Then I move on.
Try a set of binoculars, your squirrel rate will go up.

Good Luck
Will definitly give that a go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.