Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help with city trapping

Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Spike

Exclamation Help with city trapping

Hi I could use the help if people can give it

I am a young 17 year old who dosint have a job and lives in the city and I am thinking of doing pest controll for a little money I have expiernce with mice and rats but what are the other things I need. And do I need a license to do this?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

as with anything in the city, will probably need a license,
not just to commericially trap,
but need license to release the animals, where ever you decide to release them,
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Contact the game department in the city you live in and ask them what you need to do.If all else fails contact an animal pest control office.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Spike

i live in missouri and they require you to have a trapping license. so thats probably the case for everywhere else. you can probably buy one online but youll need a parents credit card. Im 17 also so thats what i did for my fishing license. bought it, and printed it out. Because you live in the city ( i hope you arent trapped there lol), youll probably need one for trapping, and probably some other BS license(s) for providing a public service.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure what licenses you'll need, but if you plan on trapping larger(wild) animals, you should have "live" traps because you will catch peoples pets. After you've obtained all the proper certifications, I suggest studying the animals you intend to catch. You might just want to start out with a few common species (bees, mice, bats, etc) and save some $ for some good traps and supplies.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few thoughts:

When I read this, I hear "I'm going to charge people to remove problem pests". This won't require any hunting/trapping license, but it WILL require a business license, and will require you to hold liability insurance. This will be cost prohibitive for you, unless you do it on a cash basis illegally. Your overhead will be higher and your method less effective (and more costly) than comparable services that are readily available: local animal control is offered through the city/county/state, and pest control by licensed/insured professionals are readily available as well. Your competition, with your limited resources and service offerings, will crush you.

On the other hand, if you're referring to trapping and selling the hides for money, rodents/rats aren't going to cut it. If this is the case, you'll need all appropriate hunting/trapping licenses for your state, and will need to follow your states designated game seasons. Depending on the size of your city, you'll also likely run into problems with municipal codes that prohibit hunting/trapping within city limits. You will ALSO be at risk for liability if you would accidentally catch/injure/poison/kill someone's pet. Break your neighbors lap-dog's leg and you'll likely face a lawsuit, making it risk-prohibitive to pursue. The resources required to sustain (i.e. pay for itself) a trap line in the city is cost-prohibitive. Your volume (animals caught per trap per day) will be incredibly low based on the population, so you'd be much better off to DRIVE OUT OF TOWN and set trap-lines in the country if fur-selling is something you think you'll be able to make money at.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. Way too many weeds to get hung up on through that process legally, regardless of what your intent might be.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

I hate to discourage any kid from wanting to earn some money.Tech. a kid would have to have a business license to mow a neighbors yard or sell lemonade.How many do?
I would suggest contacting a pest control or animal control office and see if they could use some help.You just never know.Also I remember bucking hay, mowing yards raking leaves,running a trapline etc.Just knocking on doors and asking if they needed help.Putting up ads on bulletin boards at the stores or even craigslist now days I would imagine.I have seen people running ads for predator control.They didnt charge to hunt coyotes but kept and sold the furs.
Good Luck Deer Toe
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

On the other hand stay in school go to college and become a govt trapper or animal control officer if you like.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have made my living resolving animal conflicts for over 12 years. Although I have never worked in Michigan, I have worked in Wisconsin, Mississippi, Illinois, Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia, California. Every state has differant laws, and requirements. trapperman.com has some good guys on it, if you become a member you will find a Michigan guy to answer all your questions. Tell em Mike Flick sent ya.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

I would contact a pest control business in your area, see if you can observe or help in the shop.this will give you an idea if its something you want to persue. dont try it without any training !! you can hurt yourself and it wouldnt be fair to your customers. being a PCO is a great job but like any business you only get out of it what you put in it.Ive been a PCO for 15 years i have my own business and i really enjoy it. But it didnt happen over night GOOD LUCK!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.