Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Track identification

Old 10-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

In my experience a K9 track is a bit more elongated; this one seems more round. There are some big bobs. Big feet is one of their best adaptations, in essence they have snowshoes.
Ever see the episode of Marty Stouffers Wild America where the bobcat tangled with the mountain lion? The bob is more suited for snow, which is why the mountain lions move to lower elevations.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Do they have Mountain Lions in Nebraska?

My wives Uncle said when he was out hunting he looked up a saw a giant black cat (Jaguar size) sitting in a tree watching him. Obvious everyone thought he was full of crap. He was a hardcore hunter but now he wont even step in the woods. Haha
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Had me curious I had to look it up. No Cougars in the midwest.

Mountain Lion/Cougar pad is around 4" long.

Bobcat is around 2.5" long. The tracks look almost identical to each other just a difference in size.

Youve either got a small Mountain Lion (althought unlikely) or one big Bobcat.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the track is 3 - 3.5 inches long it would clearly be rather large for any bobcat. Now a Canadian Lynx would most likely be in that size range with one minor issue. You are most likely to far sounth for that to be the case. Is it possable? yeah, but very doubtfull. I would go with what others are saying about it being parhaps a young moutain lion.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Do they have Mountain Lions in Nebraska?

My wives Uncle said when he was out hunting he looked up a saw a giant black cat (Jaguar size) sitting in a tree watching him. Obvious everyone thought he was full of crap. He was a hardcore hunter but now he wont even step in the woods. Haha

We definitely have Mountain Lions in Nebraska! Depends on where at in the state and if you are near a major waterway (they have traveled along the Platte river from Wyoming and Colorado to get here, at least the eastern NE lions have.)

NEBBUCKHUNTER, where are you in SE Nebraska? I hunt down near Cook and the farmer to the north of where I hunt has seen a mountain lion on multiple occasions, and for the past few years. Not too far from the Nemaha on a creek that feeds into it. They are definitely around, and from the looks of your track I wouldn't be surprised if it was a juvenile mountain lion, probably female. With that said, I would think there would also be a male near by as they are the ones that usually go rogue and travel east from the Rockies.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Spike

We have plenty of lions here in Nebraska. Seen 2 myself this year. Never fun when you only have a bow. But plenty awsome to see.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

We sure do have mt lions. One wa actually shot inside the city limits of Kearney, and multiple sightings have been reported around York. My cousin claims to have seen one around Eagle last year. My grandpa has watched one make its way across a cut corn field as well by Eagle.

B petersen, this property is just north of Lincoln 20 minutes along Rock Creek. Seems like Mt lion sightings are popping up all over.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Spike

Well NebBuckhunter, do you have MT Lion in your neck of the woods? I would have to say it is a feline and even though it is in loose dry dirt the measurments you gave seem a little large for a Bobcat? Just a opinion from a old trapper.