Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Skunks

Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Spike

Default Skunks

It was pitch black out and I saw this devil's glowing eyes in my flashlight with its tail up, ready to shoot. I quickly reacted and shot it from the offhand with my 308. I know, I probably should have used a bigger caliber on this animal, the 308 is just too small!!!

Anyways, that shot ruined my hunt by scaring away the rest on the animals and letting off a horrible stench that burned my eyes. But I think it was worth it. I didn't get sprayed!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Skunks-skunk.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

I shot them before, and even at the distance i shot it at (about 75 yards) it still made me stink for like a week. reeaaallllyyyy potent stuff!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by huntandski
I know, I probably should have used a bigger caliber on this animal, the 308 is just too small!!!
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm in that sentence??? Can you tell us what you were hunting for? Was it bigger than a skunk?
I have dispatched ALOT of skunks with a .22lr (with only 1 shot).
Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by PREDATE
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm in that sentence??? Can you tell us what you were hunting for? Was it bigger than a skunk?
I have dispatched ALOT of skunks with a .22lr (with only 1 shot).
Haha yaa I was being sarcastic. I was hunting for coyotes at the time. The .308 is even a bit big for them, but I sold my 5.56 AR15 and bought the .308 Ruger American Rifle for deer and pig, and figured, I can still hunt coyotes with it because I don't keep pelts. Or just use FMJ. If I was out hunting skunks or squirels, I would just use my shotgun.

But I was very supprised how much stink those skunks let out.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, always make sure you're upwind!
Or else it's the tomato juice bath!!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PREDATE
Yeah, always make sure you're upwind!
Or else it's the tomato juice bath!!
Dawn dish soap and hydrogen peroxide, tomato juice does nothing.... Dont ask me how I know.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Dawn dish soap and hydrogen peroxide, tomato juice does nothing.... Dont ask me how I know.
I don't have to ask!! LOL Avoidance is key!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Spike

We have a big fat one that likes to hang out around work, it sprays and gets sucked right into our air vents... bombs the whole store nightly. Drives me crazy that I can't bring in the .22 and get rid of it >.<