Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

After a Coyote Kill

Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by wingseek
We really enjoy coyote hunting using a shotgun in the
dense woods. It is really a thrill to say the least. I use
a HeviShot Coyote Choke Tube and DeadCoyote shells
from HeviShot. They are a lethal load.
Are the offerings for DeadCoyote still only 3" and 3 1/2"?
I got rid of my 3" chambered shotgun because the turkeys don't walk away from my 2 3/4. I kind of wish I'd have kept it for coyotes, but I guess I'll have to get some #4buck unless Dead Coyote comes out with 2 3/4.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Hey all. I read this thread cause I wanted to make sure I wasn't waiting anything or doing anything wrong. In Rural Tampa,Fl my neighborhood has a Coyote problem. So far they killed a dog and tore into a calf. I killed one today and threw it into a power line field.
So from the other posts here talking about keeping the pelt.. I would assume here in Florida the Yotes would not be desirable. Not sure if I could tell if it had mange. My first kill of any wildlife and what an Adrenaline rush.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

If you're keeping for yourself then just use your own judgement as to whether you like it or not. If keeping it to sell, the buyer will grade it according to size, color, primeness, and whether it was "case skinned" properly.
Mange should be recognizeable as "mangy"! i.e. missing or very thin hair.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Fork Horn

For the past several years I have been leaving them lay. Most were shot with 25-06 and the damage was extensive and not worth messing with. Once I bought .223 and .204 the damage stopped but the bounty on them where I was living was to nice to pass up. This year I am hoping to find some decent coyote or bobcat and start skinning them again.