Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

After a Coyote Kill

Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PREDATE
There ARE other ways to sell furs, but I don't bother with selling. I keep all my furs. My income comes from a full-time job.
I can't imagine what I'd do with all of them if I kept all of my furs??? It'd have to be one he11 of a large building...

As far as the eastern vs western goes, I'd say there's a lot more to the markets than what meets the eye, and regardless of what they bring at auction, the margin against paid to the harvester are very different things. I'd like to say KS doesn't qualify as either east or west (pretty dead center by my eye), but for some reason "the east" thought pretty highly of itself way back when and made the "east vs. west" dividing line the Mississippi River, so less than 1/3 of the country claims "east", and the rest of us are "west". Go figure...

So, with that in mind, remember that when you think of a "western coyote" that doesn't mean it came from the desert in NV or AZ, and an "Eastern dog" doesn't necessarily come from upstate NY or PA. I travel all over the "midwest" for work, rifle in hand, and it's not hard to tell that dogs I take out of the northern midwest (IA, MN, NE, even our KS dogs) will fetch a very different price than the dogs we take out of the "south" and "southwest" (not referring to "deep south", which is part of the "east" for some reason). And again, the price to the harvester vs. price at auction are very different animals.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Almost forgot to answer the question at hand: What do I do with my coyotes after a kill?

Anything with mange is buzzard bait. I'd say late 90's through late 00's we went through a rough time with mange, it was pretty rare to pick up many without it for a long time. The last couple of years have cleaned up nicely in most of the areas I hunt, but we did run into a BAD spot in western OK last winter. 2 trucks took 52 dogs over 3 days (running hounds sun up to sun down), couldn't keep but 13 or 14 of them.

Anything during the summer (KS is open season year round), is usually buzzard bait unless I have a use for it myself.

Good winter primes, it depends what they're bringing. I put up most of my hides (fleshed, salted, stitched, and stretched), but there have been a few years where "county bounties" have been good enough for ears that I don't bother. I've also had years where a certain buyer will take full carcasses, or raw pelts for almost the same price as put-up hides, meaning less elbow grease and more sleep for me.

Sometimes, on a unique looking or really well primed dog, I'll skin them with the paw pads and toenails intact (PITA to do, pretty much have to skin each toe), and include the skull along with it (for the teeth), one of my buyers sells to a few taxi's and he'll fetch really good prices, so he'll dump another $50-75 on top of it. I skin all of my bobcats that way, unless they're kits, which I usually let walk anyway.

So yes, having 6+ dogs on the back of a wagon makes for a pretty dang long day. Guys work up their own way of doing things. Skinning a coyote doesn't take that long once you get practiced at it, at my best I've stripped 10 dogs in an hour (pouring sweat mind you). The sooner you get to them, the easier it is, when we're running hounds, we strip all of our coons in the creek as we go. Coyote calling is about volume, so we don't take the time to do it until the end of the day. 2 or 3 guys can strip down 6 fresh coyotes in less than 2 beers, er.... I mean, 30min...

That said, if we don't get to them for a few days, we let them freeze, then gotta thaw them out, and that hide is STUBBORN. Much much better to get it off while they're still warm.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

They dont just kill deer fawns, I went to San Diego in 2006 and killed 153 in the first 30 days. They were going into peoples homes via dog n cat doors and eating pets. I got 8 with my bow and the rest in snares. Posts were covered in lost dog n cat signs, and I found alot of skulls with colars near by.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I find that they make excellent fertilizer.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the info guys. (and amusement) does anyone have a link or video on how to pelt or cleen etc a yote i just want something to remember my kills by other than a pic. somthing simple would do.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually give my Coyotes away to the local Trappers...most won't consider taking any of them until October,then thru Nov., Dec, Jan,Feb and maybe into March if its still good and cold?I shot a real nice dark colored Male Coyote this past Spring and have plans to get it shoulder mounted.I'm hoping this Winter I get 2 more different color-phased Coyotes and will also have them mounted and put into diferent poses and inside a glass case for display!

I'm located in Southeast Missouri right across from the Mississippi River and the Coyotes here can get a real nice coat on them if the Winter is good and cold...my goal this year is to also shot a nice Bobcat,the Season doesn't start on them until around the middle of Nov to the end of Jan I believe?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
you seem concerned about my 4700 posts, well unlike you I joined in march of 1998, before HNI went to the current software in 2003, so this worm farmer is still under 1 post a day.
RR
Ridge,

Like yourself, I joined back in the late '90s, do you know how to check on when you actually joined? I went by just "Nomercy" back then between the 90's through 2006 when things went sideways here, then I didn't use the boards for a few years until 2009 when I came back as "448".

Obviously doesn't effect my day to day, just curious when I actually started visiting this circus. Gotta say, it's getting pretty sideways again lately...
Old 09-22-2012, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

Okay that's all well and good, but it still doesn't negate the fact that you undermined my comment by coming off as a "know it all". I claimed my mistake. Right? and to imply that every predator hunter knows about fur differences is kind of ignorant, especially when I clearly stated that I didn't.
You clicked on this thread where someone was asking a question, but never answered his question. I do appreciate you correcting my statement because I don't like to mislead the newcomers. I didn't feel the need to prove you wrong. I just thought your first 1-liner comment was rude.
Well I said my piece. Have a good season RR. I hope we can get along because I'm sure I'll have some questions too at some point!
BTW are you a Pennsyltuckey ridge runner, or are you out west?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I do nothing; Use it for scouting

I just let it lay there to see how soon the other coyotes eat it.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

We really enjoy coyote hunting using a shotgun in the
dense woods. It is really a thrill to say the least. I use
a HeviShot Coyote Choke Tube and DeadCoyote shells
from HeviShot. They are a lethal load.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.