Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

After a Coyote Kill

Old 09-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Spike

Default After a Coyote Kill

What does everyone do with their coyote after killing it? I mean I know alot of people are gona say skin it... but do u skin them all ive seen alot of yote hunting shows where they have 6+ yotes in the truck. Thats alot of skinning no? do most people throw them away? I tried to make a skull mount out of one i got but it didnt work out too well. However i have seen it done if anyone knows a link fpr this id appriciate it.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

The pelt, urine, and glands are really the only useful parts. The glands & urine get made into lure for trappers and hunters.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here we can't give them away. I take them over to a buddies place and feed his hogs with them. And thats if there is no deep ditch within a short walk of where I shot him at or the landowner doesn't want them left on the grounds. Most could care less. The disc or plow doesn't mind later.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

yeah western coyotes are smaller and don't offer up as nice of pelt as northeastern yotes!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

I shot coyotes in both Colorado and PA. In the summer the pelts in CO look like the animals are sick but once they get there winter coat they look a hell of a lot better than the ones I shot in PA. Either way I usually just let the animal lay unless I am in a contest.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

The last 6 I got in KS had the mange and couldn't do anything with them. I did get a nice yote the yr prior and had a rug made out of him. Most of the time they left for the buzzards.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
LOL! thats why a top eastern yote brings 15 bucks, and a western silky brings 50 at the NTA fur auction.
RR
That really has nothing to do with it.. It is based on the fact that the western season opens up earlier and the market gets filled up before the northeast is opened up. It has more to do with what time of year that they go into prime at different parts of the country. A big part of it went away with the European market..
Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

other then taking the pelt just leave them. they are vermin and are shot to help the deer herd. if you dont really have a coyote problem or they arnt really hurting the deer herd that noticably i wouldnt hunt them. just let them be unless their causing problems
Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

LOL! thats why a top eastern yote brings 15 bucks, and a western silky brings 50 at the NTA fur auction.
RR
Well that's cool. I didn't know that. I just figured since the easterns were bigger, with a thick coat, that they had nicer fur.
I didn't see the need for your smart mouth remark though! I've put grown men over my knee for less than that!LOL. Oh well, I don't take it to heart(especially on a public forum).
It just seems that all the coyote hunting videos from out west only show scrawny(mangy) little ones that I'd pass on even handling. Like I said, I didn't know the figures since I don't plan on hunting coyotes out west. It seems that if one were to sell a (quantity) of pelts, then going through the NTA would bring higher prices.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Typical Buck

was just surprised that any predator hunter didn't know that! foxes, muskrats, and beaver from the east hold they're own, yotes and cats from the east aren't worth near what western hides bring.
RR
BTW

before you get your panties in a wad think about it, you matter of factly made a statement that was incorrect, I called you on it, your more than welcome to prove me wrong.
Why would you be surprised? Didn't I say I never had and never plan on hunting coyotes in the west?
Wow RR, Sounds like you know it all!(4000+posts)
Tell me, are the prices you quoted only for sales through the NTA?

There ARE other ways to sell furs, but I don't bother with selling. I keep all my furs. My income comes from a full-time job. Which is why I can't sit around on the computer all day like a worm farmer with a laptop! Ha Ha Ha! Now That's Funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.