Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

help please

Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Spike

Default help please

hi everyone, im new to the forums and didnt really know where to put this question, so sorry if this isnt a good place. anyway im in a VERY weird situation, i want to hunt but am feeling weird about killing an animal(rabbit to be specific). i did some deer hunting when i was a kid and got a doe but since then i havent hunted at all. i love reading about and watching animals but for some reason now i cant hunt i wish i could just turn my back on it but its part of my family and my life, i dont think i can. any advice would be good. thank you
Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Tip #1; find a good recipe that calls for rabbit!
It's perfectly fine to ask this question. Some people just don't have it in them to, like you said, "kill" an animal. Well my feelings are this. Hunting is hunting, we sort of train for it just like a ball player trains. We learn all we can to become more proficient so that we can dispatch our quarry in a fast, humane manner. Hunting is more than killing( a lighter way of putting it is "harvesting") , it's about spending time afield and enjoying every part of nature. The commeraderie among fellow outdoors men/women is something I look forward to with great anticipation!
I am a nature/wildlife lover too! Hunting is also a way to keep wildlife populations balanced. Overcrowding of animals just makes finding food and protective cover harder.
I hope you the best in finding your path and don't hesitate to ask questions!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Typical Buck

If you don't care for it, don't do it.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flatliner762
hi everyone, im new to the forums and didnt really know where to put this question, so sorry if this isnt a good place. anyway im in a VERY weird situation, i want to hunt but am feeling weird about killing an animal(rabbit to be specific). i did some deer hunting when i was a kid and got a doe but since then i havent hunted at all. i love reading about and watching animals but for some reason now i cant hunt i wish i could just turn my back on it but its part of my family and my life, i dont think i can. any advice would be good. thank you

When I started hunting, I felt the same way.
Just keep hunting, the feeling will go away.
It just means you are a very Ethical person.
And will be a very Ethical hunter.
So keep plugging on.
It will get better.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

never felt this way myself but i would sugest hunting with someone else and having them show you the ropes or maybe just accompany someone else hunting and watch.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

It is ok to feel for the animal, and you should respect the life that you take and use the animal. I love to hunt, and eat, and shoot... I'm a hunter though, not a killer. I choose to make ethical shots and play fair. That is the difference... Say thanks to the creator for providing...
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM
o_O
Spike

I got into hunting late in life when I move to the US from the UK. I remember the feeling of killing something for the first time. It does get easier. Now, if I can't get a humane kill shot, I don't shoot.

Another option for you might be photography. It's a great companion hobby for every hunter. You can hunt all year long and you use almost all the same skills. The thrill is in the chase, and the chase is exactly the same. You just shoot with a different weapon.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Spike

I know alot of people that feel this way. I think the only advice I can give is to decide why you feel this way? Is it the taking of a life? is it the blood etc? than decide how you can overcome that challange.

For example if its the taking of the life of an animal - like said above only take the shot if you know you have one that will efficiantly and quickly take down the animal. also remember your helping preserve other animals by doing so. Again it goes back to the food, dont just kill it to kill it - find a way to harvest the meat for you or pets.

If you dont enjoy it dont do it. - Use a camera like o_O said.