HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   How can i rid porcupines eating my wood stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/367296-how-can-i-rid-porcupines-eating-my-wood-stand.html)

jwatts 07-06-2012 07:04 PM

How can i rid porcupines eating my wood stand?

I have a new homemade wood deer stand and i have a porcupine eating the wood. It has paint on it, im wondering if there is anything else i can put on the stand to chase this guy away. I can't shoot him because he's only there at night. What can i put in a havaheart trap for bait? Thank you

Topgun 3006 07-07-2012 07:59 AM

Use part of a salt block as they love the stuff!

sean_paul87 07-07-2012 08:25 AM

might wanna try rubbing dog scent if you have any, or look up porcupine repellents. They actually aren't bad eating, they taste to me like a mixture of bear meat and squirrel, but its cleaning them that's the hard part obviously.

Topgun 3006 07-07-2012 09:05 AM

Never heard of eating them and as nasty smelling as the ones that I've shot over the years were, I think I'll pass on that one, LOL!

Howler 07-11-2012 08:38 AM

at work we had two porcupines move in and start chewing our trees so we hired a local ADC guy to come in and trap them to relocate them. He used open cage live traps and used sliced apples covered in salt for bait. He caught them both pretty quick.

jwatts 07-14-2012 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Howler (Post 3950928)
at work we had two porcupines move in and start chewing our trees so we hired a local ADC guy to come in and trap them to relocate them. He used open cage live traps and used sliced apples covered in salt for bait. He caught them both pretty quick.

Apples and salt, dont sound too bad. Thanks for the info.

WOODCHUCKER 08-23-2012 08:34 PM

True they love Salt they chewed my neighbors wooden handle on his shovel. Why.? because of his hand sweat left the salt from his hands on the wooden handle.

Tundra10 08-26-2012 10:44 PM

Good luck! I'd just pick a night to sit out and eradicate.

Bocajnala 08-27-2012 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 3949958)
Never heard of eating them and as nasty smelling as the ones that I've shot over the years were, I think I'll pass on that one, LOL!

They cook up just fine. Very tasty actually. I like to slow roast them in a big pot with whatever you feel like throwing in. Come out nice and tender, and mmm mmm mmmm good. Don't be a baby :wink: .
-Jake

PREDATE 08-27-2012 04:26 PM

Maybe just some salt chunks around the ground or punch a few holes in an old paint can then fill it with rock salt so he has to work for it. That'd be entertaining, at least! Just make sur there are no laws in your state against baiting deer. The law might not see it as keeping porkys busy!