HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Is shooting cats wrong? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/365349-shooting-cats-wrong.html)

thomasmgp 06-02-2012 01:46 PM

Is shooting cats wrong?

I am lucky to have wild quail making a comeback on my farm. But recently I have seen lots of feathers and bones of quail scattered around my house near the woods where I hear them. Sometimes even partially eaten ones where I guess I scared off whatever was snacking when I drove up or went outside. Also I have been seeing cats in the same area. I asked my Dad what to do and he said take em out.

So I started shooting every cat I see with my .22. Is that wrong? Im sorry but I believe in protecting my wildlife at all costs as long as Im not doing anything illegal. I dont care if its a coyote or a house cat. If its endangering my wildlife Im gonna endanger it.

ihookem1 06-02-2012 03:05 PM

No it's not wrong. It is a shame though that owners can't take care of their pets. I have shot lots of coons for much the same reason, and when I grow sweet corn. I have trapped several cats the last 5 years and see a small boost in rabbits and pheasants on my little 4 acre parcel. I even got a cat dragging a mature rabbit last year on the trail cam. I also have chickens so I don't need cats around.

JerryK 06-02-2012 03:12 PM

Well, here in MO the wildlife code says nothing about cats, but it does mention that it is illegal to shoot dogs. If your going to shoot at dogs too, best to check your wildlife code first.

My cats keep the mouse, rat, chipmunk and squirrel population down. They are kind enough to bring them to the front door and leave them as gifts and seem to want praise for their good deeds. The dog gets them and eats them. The dog is a real mole getter, however.

Happy hunting!

thomasmgp 06-02-2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by JerryK (Post 3941768)
If your going to shoot at dogs too, best to check your wildlife code first.

Only dogs I kill are Yotes. But other than the stray deer dog once or twice a year never even seen strays on my land. But the cats come out the woodworks. I kinda feel bad for shooting them but I called animal control and they said they would take care of it....that was back in March.

But Im sure if you quail hunt you know how rare it is to find wild birds and I will shoot every cat I see if it means they dont kill my quail. Hell I dont even shoot them yet. Like Im gonna let a housecat kill them all before I have the chance.

...Deleted by CalHunter...

nineoaks2004 06-03-2012 03:42 AM

I shoot the feral cats ..I also have shot those dumped out dogs that are starving to death. Dogs will pack up and get into trouble because they are starving,and once this starts I guess it's fun for them also they carry diseases, I have a firend that just lost 3 baby sheep to a pack up feral dogs . Feral dogs are probably worse that the yotes because the are not afraid of the human. Fla. law says a peson has the right to protect my livestock and I do just that.
If I think it is a neighbors animal I will let them know and give them a chance to lock the animal up.
There should be jail time for those idiots that just dump animals.

Bernie P. 06-03-2012 05:38 AM

Feral cats yes but I cant see killing someones pet.As far as wildlife goes it's considered state property regardless of where it happens to be.I would not tolerate anyone shooting my pets because they place a higher value on a game bird than my cat or dog.

c-rad 06-03-2012 07:42 AM

If a cat or dog is on your property chasing game or causing damage I see nothing wrong with shooting them pet or not. Owner should be more responsible for its animal. If you do shoot them I would tell anyone and get rid of the evidence. Most places it is against the law.

Sheridan 06-03-2012 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3941836)
any cat without ID and on my property is feral, end of story, shooting cats is only wrong if ya miss.
RR

+1

......and I own a cat.

Mickey Finn 06-03-2012 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by c-rad (Post 3941837)
If a cat or dog is on your property chasing game or causing damage I see nothing wrong with shooting them pet or not. Owner should be more responsible for its animal. If you do shoot them I would tell anyone and get rid of the evidence. Most places it is against the law.

Now this is a class post.:rolleye0011:

mortalcare 06-04-2012 10:22 AM

ive shot a few.... dont do it for fun for sure!! and if you ever see a tag or collar dont shoot!! if you find one on a shot cat i would do the best to find its owners and just tell them your cat was found dead on my property.... i wouldnt tell them you shot it cuz if someone called me saying they shot my dog, i would find them and hurt them lol