Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is shooting cats wrong?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Spike

Shooting cats isn't that easy always, lots of reasons have already been mentioned although taking a cat out of the environment is a good thing for ground nesting birds like the quail mentioned. But removing cats from an area has to be done with discretion, since the public sees them as furry pets and not the envrionmental terrors that they are. I personaly will take out any feral cats while I am hunting unless told otherwise by the land owner. Whatever it is you do with the cat problem try to be discreet about it, that will benefit all of us hunters. Also if youre noticing a decrease in quail focus on the habitat as much as you do the predator situation, always think habitat first and then predators.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

I'm gonna stay neutral on this issue. The original poster asked if it was wrong, after he already started shooting them.
I suggest that if you're going to start questioning your ethics, then do so before you act upon it. That's like asking if the calamari is fresh 10 minutes after you ate it from the roadside vendor.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Spike

Feral; wild, untamed
I would say it isn't a wrong to take out an animal, any animal that is harming game be it a pack of dogs or a lone cat. or what-have-you
It would be another scenero if the animal is only killing to eat and stay alive but most animals that return to the wild and become feral kill to eat and also for the thrill of the stalk and the kill usually leaving the carcus to rot if the amimal that did the killing is not hungry. Just my opinion
Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nineoaks2004
I once came home and two of the neighbors dogs had a chicken in their mouth, I went to the neighbor and told him I would kill them if I caught them in my yard again, I told him to lock them up.
He denied that they were his dogs.
A few days later, I caught them again I shot both dogs, then took them and placed them on his steps. I never heard a thing from him after that.
People need to be responsible with their pets and accept responsibility for their actions.
I agree with RidgeRunner, if they are on my property they are feral and I will /do kill them.
As far as placing them before wildlife, I spend a lot of time training my squirrel dogs and spend a lot of money and time on the feeders and will not stand for a cat to kill the squirrels, they also rob the quail nests and turkey nests. I can't eat cat but I can and do eat quail, squirrel, turkey and rabbit.
My uncle did this once. For the same reason. After he returned the dead dog. The owner suddenly claimed him and took him to court. The judge laughed and made him pay my uncle for damages to his chickens and the inconvenience of waisting his time.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nebraskadeerkilln
My uncle did this once. For the same reason. After he returned the dead dog. The owner suddenly claimed him and took him to court. The judge laughed and made him pay my uncle for damages to his chickens and the inconvenience of waisting his time.

Your uncle would've achieved the same results without killing a known "domestic" dog! What I mean is he obviously knew who to return the dog to. For crying out loud, it was someones pet! Not Cool!
Had he harmed my dog I would've held backwoods court in his front lawn, resulting in cranial contusions and about 14 shattered bones.
I'm not "JK" about this one either.
A wild animal is one thing, but I'd recommend not messing with a mans dog!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

I am not ashamed to admit to killing cats. they can become quite a nuisance. The way I see it, if the owner wanted the cats alive they'd keep them off my property and away from my game animals. I used an air rifle with wadcutter pellets. This seemed to educate the majority of the cats without doing real damage. Some of the real determined ones caught a .22lr
Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PREDATE
Your uncle would've achieved the same results without killing a known "domestic" dog! What I mean is he obviously knew who to return the dog to. For crying out loud, it was someones pet! Not Cool!
Had he harmed my dog I would've held backwoods court in his front lawn, resulting in cranial contusions and about 14 shattered bones.
I'm not "JK" about this one either.
A wild animal is one thing, but I'd recommend not messing with a mans dog!
Predate, I catch your dog on my property and killing my chickens or sheep or what have you, after i have warned you to keep it leashed or otherwise off my property.

You can make all the idle threats you want, that dog is mine to keep. Since you obviously can't take care of it.

As for the cats, I kill every one that I see, in the WILD.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I wasn't making threats, just simply stating the fact that if you want to be barbaric and harm a pet. Then you'd better know the demeanor of the owner or your front shrubs might come alive when you walk out your door and leave you with a feeding tube, breathing machine, and/or deep flesh wounds.
A judge would not (for fear of losing his job) side with a dog killer without proof that the dead dog was to blame and that the owner was warned about it. Without proof you're probably going to end up with $1000's in fines and/or imprisonment for up to 5 years!
I sit back and listen to guys whine, piss, and moan of their livestock, as well as wild animals being victims of dogs and cats when there are coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bears, fox, oppossum, skunks, weasels, raccoons, feral hogs, wolves, raptors, etc. that will be more efficient killers of your little chickens and wild quail.BOO HOOOOOO! Your animals will surely be killed anyways(unless you keep them penned up)!
So when someone is running bears, rabbits, coyotes, rabbits, etc. with dogs and it runs across your property line, is the dog tresspassing? NOPE.

Yes pets should be leashed, but $hit happens.
This is a hunting forum. Shooting someones pet off your back porch is not hunting.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
any cat without ID and on my property is feral, end of story, shooting cats is only wrong if ya miss.
RR
What Ridge said.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Spike

I ***LOVE*** cats!!! They taste just like chicken...so many cats, so few recipies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.