Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is shooting cats wrong?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Spike

Maybe if there are a few antis reading these types of forums they'll keep their friggin pets in their house or yard where they belong.
Problem I see is a situation where a pet is restrained and manages to get loose. They do that sometimes. You shoot it because you think I'm an "anti" or whatever other idiotic reason:

1) It's killing "my" quail.... No - wildlife on ones' property still belongs to the state and the people in it; that's why you buy a hunting license to begin with.

2) I haven't evolved beyond the 4th-grade phase of pulling wings off flies and throwing rocks at dogs for fun... That's the obvious agenda for a few folks on here, judging by the utter lack of punctuation and common sense...

3) You just don't like cats, dogs, whatever... I think if we all went around shooting things because we didn't like them we'd all be in a lot of trouble...

So not only will you and I, as the owner of the pet-in-question, have problems afterwards, but - as was previously mentioned - you just made every hunter and gun-owner look like a moron due to your own lack of maturity and restraint. You just gave the people you hate - the "anti"-hunters - even more ammunition.

I'm not an "anti." I'm a hunter who cares about the future of our sport. I'm also a pet owner. Mine don't roam free, but shi% happens and they DO get loose from time to time, someone inadvertantly lets them out, etc. And when that happens, it's a simple thing for a neighbor to call and say "hey, your dog is over here...he wandered into my yard," after which I retireve the dog, apologize profusely, and we part ways with me knowing that I live next to a stand-up guy, not a total tool who shoots things just because they're standing on his grass or threatening what he falsely believes to be "his" wildlife.

For the sake of the future of hunting, if any of you really believe this kind of behavior is OK, don't post about it on a public message board.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by macman99
Problem I see is a situation where a pet is restrained and manages to get loose. They do that sometimes. You shoot it because you think I'm an "anti" or whatever other idiotic reason:

1) It's killing "my" quail.... No - wildlife on ones' property still belongs to the state and the people in it; that's why you buy a hunting license to begin with.

2) I haven't evolved beyond the 4th-grade phase of pulling wings off flies and throwing rocks at dogs for fun... That's the obvious agenda for a few folks on here, judging by the utter lack of punctuation and common sense...

3) You just don't like cats, dogs, whatever... I think if we all went around shooting things because we didn't like them we'd all be in a lot of trouble...

So not only will you and I, as the owner of the pet-in-question, have problems afterwards, but - as was previously mentioned - you just made every hunter and gun-owner look like a moron due to your own lack of maturity and restraint. You just gave the people you hate - the "anti"-hunters - even more ammunition.

I'm not an "anti." I'm a hunter who cares about the future of our sport. I'm also a pet owner. Mine don't roam free, but shi% happens and they DO get loose from time to time, someone inadvertantly lets them out, etc. And when that happens, it's a simple thing for a neighbor to call and say "hey, your dog is over here...he wandered into my yard," after which I retireve the dog, apologize profusely, and we part ways with me knowing that I live next to a stand-up guy, not a total tool who shoots things just because they're standing on his grass or threatening what he falsely believes to be "his" wildlife.

For the sake of the future of hunting, if any of you really believe this kind of behavior is OK, don't post about it on a public message board.
X2 Thanks for posting!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

sss.........................
Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tundra10
sss.........................
Thanks for illustrating my point. Please do us all a favor: stop breeding and voting.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I witnessed wild cats chasing baby turkeys and baby ducks while i was in my stand hunting. Ever since then i shoot them. One with by bow, another with my .45, and my other with my rifle.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Spike

I have this big black cat roaming on my & my neighbors properties. I know that it does not belong to anyone. True he keeps the field mice in check,But also kills & eats the birds & Rabbits, & any thing else that he can hunt & kill. Plus he pees on everyone's outdoor stuff. So iv'e been dealing with him for the last few years. but now Iv'e been seeing a lot of cotton tails around my property. & next month the small game opens up here in NYS. So now I think it's time that I put this cat down before he wipes out the Rabbits all together.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by deerslyer11
I witnessed wild cats chasing baby turkeys and baby ducks while i was in my stand hunting. Ever since then i shoot them. One with by bow, another with my .45, and my other with my rifle.
There are no baby turkeys or baby ducks during hunting season.

Last edited by mlo31351270; 09-20-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too have seen them stalking hatchlings in the spring. The only thing that has saved this one particular cat is I know who owns it and it is more than likely a childs pet.....It's not feral but may as well be. It spends alot of time in the woods hunting even though it is a well feed cat. We have a cat here in town where my father lives and even though it is also well fed, it hunts bigtime and has brought several mice, birds, bats, rabbits, moles etc. back to the house. Usually half eaten, but occasionally still kicking.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WOODCHUCKER
I have this big black cat roaming on my & my neighbors properties. I know that it does not belong to anyone. True he keeps the field mice in check,But also kills & eats the birds & Rabbits, & any thing else that he can hunt & kill. Plus he pees on everyone's outdoor stuff. So iv'e been dealing with him for the last few years. but now Iv'e been seeing a lot of cotton tails around my property. & next month the small game opens up here in NYS. So now I think it's time that I put this cat down before he wipes out the Rabbits all together.
If there are alot rabbits around this year, I guess that big black cat is doing no harm after all.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by macman99
Thanks for illustrating my point. Please do us all a favor: stop breeding and voting.
Sorry , I bred 17 + yrs ago. What does voting have to do with feral cats? ( you voted Obama huh )
My boy has been indoctrinated into the sss fraternity.

Feral cat = vector species.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.