Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is shooting cats wrong?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Shooting cats no. suggesting you do so on an open public forum, definitely."

Question for ya cat lover! Do you have kids or dogs or cats and let them run all over everyone else's property doing whatever they feel like? Whether you do or not, when people or their pets are on other than their own private property without permission they are violating the law and the only way to take care of a roaming cat is to see that he roams in kitty heaven---end of story and no nine lives for him!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The real issue is what it can do to the public perception of hunters.

It doesn't win us points from the public if we do something that people will see as ruthless, heartless, etc. Try to imagine a five year old kid learning that their cat got shot when it was avoidable. That's a public relations disaster for all hunters and the kind of thing that makes people oppose hunting.

If you can get the problem resolved without shooting it, that's probably best. Sometimes it's not avoidable, especially with truly feral cats. Be discreet about it if it has to happen.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

No, I don't need the grief of killing a neighbors pet, legal or not. My neighbors all know I hunt, if kitty comes back with an arrow stuck in it's ham or a hide full of pellets, guess who's door they come banging on first?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
"Shooting cats no. suggesting you do so on an open public forum, definitely."

Question for ya cat lover! Do you have kids or dogs or cats and let them run all over everyone else's property doing whatever they feel like? Whether you do or not, when people or their pets are on other than their own private property without permission they are violating the law and the only way to take care of a roaming cat is to see that he roams in kitty heaven---end of story and no nine lives for him!
The OPs question..."was it wrong?" My answer was no.
I don't love cats....in fact I am a non pet person. I just said I wouldn't brag on a forum about shooting them. I have a fine collection of varmint/cat rifles. All of which have been used.

Last edited by skb2706; 08-08-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

MY land, MY rules! Don't like it, then keep YOUR pets off MY land.

Cats are actually GREAT practice targets, small, sneaky!
HL
Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly, and I'm not going to hang them out in the front yard with a sign saying look what I just did, LOL! I'm talking about cats out where I'm in the field under hunting conditions and they should not be out there! Maybe if there are a few antis reading these types of forums they'll keep their friggin pets in their house or yard where they belong. It amazes me to read letters to the editor in the newspaper every once in a while by these type of people chastizing someone for running over their pet on a city street. If the damn thing wasn't out running around illegally, it wouldn't have been hit and yet the driver gets the blame! It's the same way with everything nowadays in our society where it's always somebody else's fault for cripes sake. Take some responsibility for things that are under your control and quit blaming everyone else!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
MY land, MY rules! Don't like it, then keep YOUR pets off MY land.

Cats are actually GREAT practice targets, small, sneaky!
HL
umm? messed up. shooting cats is a necessary evil that sometimes needs to be done, but shouldnt be enjoyed! and you definitely shouldnt view it as "a great target practice"??
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Spike

I Have this one stray cat that roams my property & every one else's to. He does keep the field mice in check but also kills all the birds, & Rabbits that he can catch, etc. No wonder the Rabbit season is lousy every October, My neighbors blame the Yotes & the Foxe's for the low Rabbit population. But I know it is this one cat. As I have seen him with a Rabbit in his mouth running through my back yard. I did not want to pop him because of the field mice that he kills. but now I must put him down I think to save the Rabbit's for the small game season.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I'm with Second Chance, LOL! I don't give a rip if they have a collar on. If they are allowed to roam off the owner's property, as far as I'm concerned, they're fair game. People are supposed to keep their dogs licensed with rabies shots, etc. and on their property. Yet it seems as though many people with cats seem to think they can just let them out to roam wherever they feel like. That to me is BS and they get what they deserve because that cat will kill whatever moves and is small enough for it to catch, whether it's a rabbit, quail, pheasant, turkey polts, etc.!!!
Collars are an extra 5pts!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Cats that are feral or not restrained by owners suck up good air. Cats that I see on my property or when hunting, with a gun available, are dead. No need to advertise or display. It is just a cat that never shows up again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.