Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is shooting cats wrong?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
any cat without ID and on my property is feral, end of story, shooting cats is only wrong if ya miss.
RR

Yea no collars on any of them. Also even though I have never had a cat when I go to my other house most of the neighbors do and cats seem to be a very open and friendly animal. They always come up to me and rub on my legs stuff like that but these out here seem timid around people, like a wild animal would.

When I use to have stray deer dogs show up during deer season they always would come up to my front door or would hang around for a few days even letting me get close enough to check the collar and if there was a number Id call the owner and say I found his dog(s) But these cats show no signs of wanting anything to do with me. They behave just like a wild animal. So I assume its safe to say they are feral.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

as long as you have your reason for shooting cats, think its just fine,
reasons can vary, as population control, helping protect tastier critters, etc...
just as long as its not for target practice dont see anything wrong with it.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Terasec
as long as you have your reason for shooting cats, think its just fine,
Yup protecting my baby wild quail. Was just outside and heard one of them whistle so I whistled back and the woods lit up with them. Such an awesome sound to hear cause its been so long since we had any wild quail. Too bad thy are mostly located in the spot where I have my pond planned I hope they relocate easily. On the other side of the entrance road across from where they are is some nice baby pines and tall brush I assume that would make a nice home for them once we start clearing for the pond. Even some nice deep ditches full of brush and fallen trees for great protection from predators, if they like sharing homes with all the deer in there lol.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Spike

I once came home and two of the neighbors dogs had a chicken in their mouth, I went to the neighbor and told him I would kill them if I caught them in my yard again, I told him to lock them up.
He denied that they were his dogs.
A few days later, I caught them again I shot both dogs, then took them and placed them on his steps. I never heard a thing from him after that.
People need to be responsible with their pets and accept responsibility for their actions.
I agree with RidgeRunner, if they are on my property they are feral and I will /do kill them.
As far as placing them before wildlife, I spend a lot of time training my squirrel dogs and spend a lot of money and time on the feeders and will not stand for a cat to kill the squirrels, they also rob the quail nests and turkey nests. I can't eat cat but I can and do eat quail, squirrel, turkey and rabbit.

Last edited by nineoaks2004; 06-05-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nineoaks2004
I once came home and two of the neighbors dogs had a chicken in their mouth, I went to the neighbor and told him I would kill them if I caught them in my yard again, I told him to lock them up.
He denied that they were his dogs.
A few days later, I caught them again I shot both dogs, then took them and placed them on his steps. I never heard a thing from him after that.
People need to be responsible with their pets and accept responsibility for their actions.
I agree with RidgeRunner, if they are on my property they are feral and I will /do kill them.
As far as placing them before wildlife, I spend a lot of time training my squirrel dogs and spend a lot of money and time on the feeders and will not stand for a cat to kill the squirrels, they also rob the quail nests and turkey nests. I can't eat cat but I can and do eat quail, squirrel, turkey and rabbit.
......thats going a little too far with the dogs lol
Old 06-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Spike

thats really morbid...and highly disturbing..
Old 06-06-2012, 04:23 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I used to not be a cat fan but my wife insisted, so we got a few. They are outdoor cats, mostly hanging around the house. They have their shots, but no collars. And when they wander, they appear no different than the a typical feral cat, but they are harmless. And they eat all the mice. The stupid mice damaged my car, mower, and other things. In a remodel, we took the walls down and I see that they chewed off wire insulation - the mice could have caused a fire! So now, I would not be without cats. And our cats provide dinner for predators on occasion - the only outdoor cat left is a black one that blends in nicely.

Unfortunately, some do not get their cats fixed, nor do they have the rabies shots. In 3rd world countries, rabies kills many, and mostly this is due to uncontrolled pets. So if there are wild cats running all over, they should be controlled.

Last edited by MZS; 06-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

any cat without ID and on my property is feral, end of story, shooting cats is only wrong if ya miss.
RR
I don't check for ID. I live in the woods and any cat is dead.

Ya want yer cat to live keep it inside.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quote:
RR

+1000 If a pet owner doesn't think enough of the cat/dog to keep it secured and on their own property, they have nobody to blame but themselves if it gets wacked or run over by a vehicle. Over the years I don't know how many times I've read letters to the editor about someones animal getting killed out on the street or highway and blaming it on the driver. Keep the friggin things on your property and don't blame anybody but yourself if they die somewhere else where they shouldn't be in the first place!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10

I live in the boonies to.I absolutely agree with pet ownership comes responsibility but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed outside some.How would you like to spend your whole life indoors?Anyway I'll guarantee all of you three things.First the two legged predators hunting my land without permission are killing more game on my land than cats and dogs combined.Second they know what they're doing is wrong,illegal and couldn't care less.Third their behavior shines a bad light on hunting for all of us.Any stories of hunters/gun owners killing pets can only do us more harm than good.We just can't afford that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.