HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Coyote pelt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/362578-coyote-pelt.html)

BrandonByrge 04-18-2012 09:34 AM

Coyote pelt

How much does a single average size coyote pelt run for selling? We have alot on your land. Just looking into it.

jr_bull 04-18-2012 02:54 PM

That depends on your area.. big diffrence in northern yotes and southern

BrandonByrge 04-18-2012 06:43 PM

Which is more valuable.

Sheridan 04-18-2012 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonByrge (Post 3930779)
Which is more valuable.

I think the guyz want you to guess, before they say another word ! LOL :confused0024:

GTOHunter 04-19-2012 04:01 PM

Up North....say Iowa,Michigan,Minnesota and the Big North (Canada) the pelts will probably be worth more since they have a harder longer Winter and the Coyotes will have better hides/coats on them.Another thing to consider is the type of damage to the hides....are You using a Larger caliber Rifle ,smaller Caliber less damage,where did You shoot the Coyote/Predator,are You trapping them and then shooting them with a small caliber Rifle/Pistol and so on?

Winter Time with colder weather will produce a better hide on an Animal,if You harvest them too soon they hide may look OK but the coat may be in poor shape or it will not hold up well after it in skinned and tanned?

Here in Missouri we usually don't use a Coyote hide until late October,Nov.,Dec and Jan when they will be at their best,even Trapping Season doesn't start until the middle of Nov and ends at the end of January I believe?You can Hunt Coyotes and all the Furbearing Animals like Bobcats,Foxes,Mink,Badgers thru the Furbearer Season and Coyotes can be hunted about 10-11 months out of the year only pausing from April 1 to about 9 days into May during Spring Turkey Season and when the Coyotes are rearing up their Pups.

The hides aren't worth much of anything during the warm weather months,we still hunt them to take them out and for the Sport of it.Another thing to consider is taking care to skin out the Coyote hides the proper way and less damage makes a hide worth more money!Then there's prepping the hides,stretching them and You probably have to salt them down too?I usually give my Coyotes to a Trapper Friend or have it mounted by a Taxidermist...around here the Coyotes aren't worth a whole lot of money!

You can learn even more about Hunting and taking care of the Hides at www.predatormasters.com enjoy the Sport of Hunting Predators and good luck hunting them! GTOHunter

Nomercy448 04-20-2012 12:16 PM

I wouldn't say coyotes are worth "much" anywhere, and it varies WIDELY from state to state, even county to county.

For example, I sell to 3 or 4 different buyers every year, mostly just to 2. This season, a raw carcass would bring $2-4, a raw carcass $5-8, and a fleshed and salted pelt bringing $8-10. A fully finished hide, tanned and worked, would bring $30-50, but is worth a lot more retail. OR, you can just take them an ear and collect a $2 bounty that ultimately gets paid by the state DWP.

Now, 100miles away, the "county bounty" was $20 rather than $2. I had to find out late in the season when I had already sold several hides for $6 from my 17yr old cousin who was trapping for the first time this year. So for the difference of a 100mile drive, a guy could get 10x the money for an EAR ALONE. The hides to sellers were going for the same price, but the bounty was much higher due to a localized population boom.

Now, those prices are from KS, not up north where the fur quality is higher, and we had a very mild winter, so the coats weren't quite as thick as I've seen in years past on harsh winters, but in general I've seen fairly similar prices from KS buyers as I did from SD and MN buyers. I do know we had higher quality fur on our dogs this year than I saw out of so cal and TX.

GTOHunter 04-20-2012 04:57 PM

Nomercy....I need to send You all my Coyote ears and we can split the Bounty Money? :D ;)

Years ago they use to have a Bounty on Coyotes here in Missouri but with prices down so much they quit doing it years ago....You don't see or hear of many Trappers any more...its a dying Hobby that has been generating some interest for the Younger Hunters!

wingseek 05-15-2012 07:11 PM

Use the DeadCoyote Shells from HeviShot when you are in the
woods hunting those coyotes. These shells will knock their socks literally off..................:fighting0007:

ksfowler166 07-19-2012 07:49 PM

I think I can be more help. At the Fur Havesters Auction March 22-23, 2012 Western coyote went for $71.50 avg. $140.00 top, eastern went for $49.16 avg. $80.00 top. You might want to try to trap a bobcat western went for $645.00 avg. and a wopping $1,700 top.