Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
New hunter...need some "practice" game >

New hunter...need some "practice" game

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New hunter...need some "practice" game

Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

A .22lr would be perfect for your small game needs. You have a .243 right, that would work well for the yotes. Also, if you have prairie dogs anywhere around your area, they make some great targets. Not necessarily something you'd eat, but lots of landowners want the dogs shot off, same thing for coyotes.
-Jake
Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Spike

I went bunny huntin' before work

Just got one cottontail (not bad for about 20 min worth of effort). It was a clean easy head shot at about 20 yards. I'm quite pleased with myself, honestly.

I have taken the hunter's safety course, the annual conservation stamp, and have bought a small game license, so this was all legal. No worries there. One less bun to eat my cucumbers this summer or to make even more bunnies. I'm braising this little critter for dinner tonight, no wasting meat. I got some experience and learned something new (never skinned or cleaned a rabbit before). I can't think of any ethical hunting bases I might have missed. Hunted legally, harvested humanely, wildlife management in mind, and no waste...If I got some target practice and had some fun, I'm not at all ashamed of it, lol.

Here's my very first bunny And I thought I butchered him rather well considering it was my first time, lol.
Attached Thumbnails New hunter...need some "practice" game-0061.jpg   New hunter...need some "practice" game-0081.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by prairienights
I went bunny huntin' before work

Just got one cottontail (not bad for about 20 min worth of effort). It was a clean easy head shot at about 20 yards. I'm quite pleased with myself, honestly.

I have taken the hunter's safety course, the annual conservation stamp, and have bought a small game license, so this was all legal. No worries there. One less bun to eat my cucumbers this summer or to make even more bunnies. I'm braising this little critter for dinner tonight, no wasting meat. I got some experience and learned something new (never skinned or cleaned a rabbit before). I can't think of any ethical hunting bases I might have missed. Hunted legally, harvested humanely, wildlife management in mind, and no waste...If I got some target practice and had some fun, I'm not at all ashamed of it, lol.

Here's my very first bunny And I thought I butchered him rather well considering it was my first time, lol.

Good going,
Once you set your sights on that animal you are not practicing you are hunting
Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, you cut that rabbit up real well. Rabbit is one of my favorite small game meals.
-Jake
Old 02-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

You did better than Elmer Fudd! What did you use for the firearm?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Spike

Thanks guys He was delicious! I want lots of bunnies! I'll probably go out this weekend for a few more if I'm lucky. I braised my first one with a white wine and mushroom sauce and had it with buttered and seasoned veggies and some homemade dinner rolls. I'd like to get a couple and make a rabbit stew.

I used our old .22. To be entirely honest with you, I can't tell you any further details other than it's a .22, lol.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by prairienights
I braised my first one with a white wine and mushroom sauce and had it with buttered and seasoned veggies and some homemade dinner rolls.
Hmm... I can't help but think "wow, that's the fanciest meal I've ever heard of that used RABBIT as the protein!"

Rabbits and white wine... The sophisticated option for "up-town rednecks" everywhere!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
Good going,
Once you set your sights on that animal you are not practicing you are hunting
Couldn't have said it better myself... Surprising how many guys on this board have forgotten that fact...
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Inactive

PrairieNights: Congrats on the nice bunny. From the sounds of things, your right on the mark and "have all your ducks in a row" so to speak. You have a great attitude, dont ever lose it. I hear Wyomiing has a pretty good pheasant population. You might want to give those birds a try. They are great eating. Best of luck to you in your hunting endeavors.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Spike

X-mountie, I have gone bird hunting!! We have a ridiculous amount of pheasants; I have to dodge the pheasant flocks driving to work every morning. I shot two huns (hungarian partridges) which were delicious.

Here's the end result of my first rabbit. Braised in a white wine, shallots, and herb sauce with homemade gravy. Who said a cottontail can't be fancy
Attached Thumbnails New hunter...need some "practice" game-0101.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.