HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Racoon Hunt ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/357625-racoon-hunt.html)

HuntingConfessions 01-24-2012 09:52 AM

Racoon Hunt ??

Was on a muzzy hunt for whitetail. Seen deer, turkey's and had the pleasure of meeting this little guy.

After asking him the password

He said your barrel is dirty.lol

mw_Guerilla 01-24-2012 10:23 AM

lmao! that is awesome. I personally don't hunt racoons but they sure are tasty.

Kanati 01-24-2012 12:44 PM

Haha, He might have had a previous owner, I got a football coach that had a coon he raised from a baby when he found it in his attic.

After releasing it, it lived in the woods around the house he could occasionally call it up to him and pet it. No one else could do it cause it would bite the crap outta ya. lol...

good pics

Nomercy448 01-25-2012 07:19 AM

You know, as much as I'd hate to say it, because I do love seeing "friendly wildlife", you probably should have taken him out. Regardless of size, I'm always wary of animals that aren't approprately afraid of humans. This definitely seems like the type of coon that will feel right at home coming through someone's doggie door looking for food, or into their garage, etc etc.

I hate to say it, but that's just how it runs. Like Kanati said, even though it was friendly to you, if someone's little girl was playing in the back yard and that coon approached it, God forbid she'd get bitten.

Other than that regrettable wet blanket, REALLY COOL! Being a coon hunter myself (Treeing Walker Hounds baby!), I've had several rough times in the creek where I wish it would be that easy!!!

HuntingConfessions 02-08-2012 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 3904903)
You know, as much as I'd hate to say it, because I do love seeing "friendly wildlife", you probably should have taken him out. Regardless of size, I'm always wary of animals that aren't approprately afraid of humans. This definitely seems like the type of coon that will feel right at home coming through someone's doggie door looking for food, or into their garage, etc etc.

I hate to say it, but that's just how it runs. Like Kanati said, even though it was friendly to you, if someone's little girl was playing in the back yard and that coon approached it, God forbid she'd get bitten.

Other than that regrettable wet blanket, REALLY COOL! Being a coon hunter myself (Treeing Walker Hounds baby!), I've had several rough times in the creek where I wish it would be that easy!!!

Definately the thought crossed my mind but the hunt was several miles from any homes and would have recked what was left of a good hunt.

Bocajnala 02-08-2012 07:43 PM

I've had a total of five pet coons in my life. Two of them I kept for three years. They made good pets. 3 others I cut out of a tree at a young age, and kept them for a few months before taking them out to some big woods. They're very intelligent animals, very nosy too, as you saw there. Being far away from houses, I wouldn't worry about this unless it looked sick. I shot a sick one during deer season this year. Went back later and buried it. Don't know what it had, but it wasn't doing good. Cool post.
-Jake

kansaswiderack 02-09-2012 08:32 AM

you need to pull the trigger on him. there are to many predators out there eating quail and pheasant eggs. not enough trappers to keep them in check.