Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best rimfire cartridge for varmints?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just so I'm clear; I wouldn't feel confident "dropping" one unless I could stick it right behind their ear !

I use a centerfire, if I'm going after yotes !!!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Just so I'm clear; I wouldn't feel confident "dropping" one unless I could stick it right behind their ear !

Damn Sheridan, we must be bruddas of a nudda mudda!! Centerfires and 12ga back up!!!! IF AND ONLY WHEN, will I try to shoot one with a rimfire, I hold my fire to as close as possible to rule out a wounded animal and a clean and humanly dispatched animal.
When the 17's first came out, I was trapping a farm not from a buddies house and he had just got a Taurus 17 Raging Bull. He wanted try it out. I took him along and I shot a trapped yote in the ribs to see what kind of "HorsePower" this thing had at give or take 20yds off a fence post into its ribs. It jumped up, flopped over, then got back up and hit the end of the chain looking at us. I then took it between the eyes, end of story.
Upon the skinning, we found out the round just fragged the ribs and blew up the near lung. Nothing more. Would have lived if not haveing not been trapped. I will stick with my heavier and slower rounds for reliable results for I have been around too long to start believing in a better mouse trap now.

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-26-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

If I am correct the taurus raging bull is a pistol. The performance of a bullet coming out of a pistol and a rifle will vary dramatically. The pistol will have a great loss in velocity compared to to a rifle. So this vary well could have been the reason for the poor performance that you experienced on that coyote. If you had been using a rifle your story may have been different. Not calling you a liar or anything just being a devils advocate.
10 inch barrel
Shot 1 2273 fps
Shot 2 2256 fps
Shot 3 2301 fps
Shot 4 2282 fps
Shot 5 2268 fps
Average 2276 fps
Spread 45 fps

18 inch barrel
Shot 1 2538 fps
Shot 2 2507 fps
Shot 3 2525 fps
Shot 4 2542 fps
Shot 5 2501 fps
Average 2522 fps
Spread 41 fps

Now this is with a 10 inch barrel so if you were shooting a shorter barrel than that you could expect even slower velocities.

Now I have personally seen and killed a couple of dogs with the lowly 22lr even with chest shots. So it is capable of doing it but at very close ranges with the longest being around 35 yards away. And the closet about 10.
But if it were me I would choose the 17 HMR or the 22 WMR. I have a 17 HMR and was able to roll a javelina on the run with it so I have no doubt that it would work on a coyote. Plus it is awesome for knocking down jacks at 150 plus yards since it has a nice flat trajectory.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Taurus Tracker .17HMR with a 6" barrel, personally, like the above experience, the 17grn V-max's just aren't great on coyotes except for head shots. They're just TOO frangible. Out of a rifle, you do get better penetration and body shots can work to drop dogs, but frankly, rimfires of any kind are head shot only propositions in my book, regardless of whether it's a handgun or a rifle.

The good news is, that my little Tracker 17 is a sweet shooting lil SOB, so headshots are still possible even at reasonable ranges.

Whether it's smart to admit it or not, I do know a guy that uses an 8" Tracker 17 for whitetail deer and antelope. Headshots only, but DRT results as long as he's scrutinizing with his shot placement.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by westtexducks
If I am correct the taurus raging bull is a pistol. The performance of a bullet coming out of a pistol and a rifle will vary dramatically. The pistol will have a great loss in velocity compared to to a rifle. So this vary well could have been the reason for the poor performance that you experienced on that coyote. If you had been using a rifle your story may have been different. Not calling you a liar or anything just being a devils advocate.
10 inch barrel
Shot 1 2273 fps
Shot 2 2256 fps
Shot 3 2301 fps
Shot 4 2282 fps
Shot 5 2268 fps
Average 2276 fps
Spread 45 fps

18 inch barrel
Shot 1 2538 fps
Shot 2 2507 fps
Shot 3 2525 fps
Shot 4 2542 fps
Shot 5 2501 fps
Average 2522 fps
Spread 41 fps

Now this is with a 10 inch barrel so if you were shooting a shorter barrel than that you could expect even slower velocities.

Now I have personally seen and killed a couple of dogs with the lowly 22lr even with chest shots. So it is capable of doing it but at very close ranges with the longest being around 35 yards away. And the closet about 10.
But if it were me I would choose the 17 HMR or the 22 WMR. I have a 17 HMR and was able to roll a javelina on the run with it so I have no doubt that it would work on a coyote. Plus it is awesome for knocking down jacks at 150 plus yards since it has a nice flat trajectory.
Devils advocate or anything else you wish to call yourself, do you REALLY think that at less than 20 yards its going to make on heck of lot of difference when dealing with a trapped animal broadside in terms of velocity!!!!!! What are you shooting your 17 HMR out of? I have taken over 5K animals in traps, coyotes, fox, coon, possums,etc.. all with a 22LR Ruger MK2 and have never wanted anything bigger. Most times I did it with out the pistol. I just know from a cost perspective, I would never take a 17 on a trap line again when I can do the same thing with a 22LR at half the price. And just as dead!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

To answer your question directly 22 mag
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

22Mag
Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan

You got that right pal!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

It depends on what your going to hunt.
For small animals like rabbits and squirrels. A regular .22 or a .22 Mag is fine.
If your going for larger animals like 10+ pounds then go for the 17 HMR or Fireball
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I already have a Winchester lever- action .22 LR for squirrels. Thanks guys.