HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Suggestions for yotes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/357447-suggestions-yotes.html)

stapher1 01-20-2012 04:09 PM

Suggestions for yotes

I've been noticing alot of yotes at where i work, so it's making me get the urge to start hunting them. I got plenty of rifles to use but some are either too much for yotes or too heavy to carry for long walks. My 6br would be perfect round for them (imo) but it's 17lbs and getting the laminate stock messed up, makes me nervous. So i've been thinking picking up a Remmy sps tactical in .223, i still have all my stuff to reload them (i used my .223 to build my br) So i got 40gr, 50gr V-max and 40gr Nosler B-tips. I'm wondering if they're heavy enough for longer shots to effectively kill them?

halfbakedi420 01-20-2012 04:14 PM

HELL YES!
try some snares, the hunt you can fall asleep on lol

Nomercy448 01-20-2012 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by stapher1 (Post 3903254)
My 6br would be perfect round for them (imo) but it's 17lbs and getting the laminate stock messed up, makes me nervous.

Get some vinyl or cloth tape, cover up your stock. Get a bipod and a good sling. Screw holding up a 17lb'er all day. Honestly, I don't like holding up a 5lber all day, haha. Shoulder it to the stand, prop it up on the bipod while you're seated.

(My wife is 5'3" and 125lbs, and she uses a 17lb Savage 12 Varminter in .223rem, surely you can manage to slug your 6br to your set as long as you have sticks or a pod to set it on).

As far as the .223rem goes, I've knocked down dogs with 50grn pills (A-max, V-max, BST's, BTHP's, and JHP's) out to 700yrds with a .223rem. Shorter barrels lose velocity compared to longer tubes, but they're heavier to haul around. Personally, I haven't seen any reason to use anything heavier except a little better BC, but you're still sacrificing velocity, so at the end of the day, the effective range is about the same.

Sheridan 01-20-2012 07:21 PM

Sounds like No Mercy gave you every reason to go out there and shoot some !

Go have some fun, and help out the rest of the game animals at the same time !!!

Bernie P. 01-21-2012 03:34 AM

I wouldnt want to haul around a 17lb gun no how.I mostly hunt them with my 12g/#4 buckshot because of so much heavy cover.In areas more open I use my CZ 527 American in .223.Another consideration is pelt damage.If you want to keep or sell the .223 is the better choice vs the six'r.

stapher1 01-21-2012 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 3903269)
Get some vinyl or cloth tape, cover up your stock. Get a bipod and a good sling. Screw holding up a 17lb'er all day. Honestly, I don't like holding up a 5lber all day, haha. Shoulder it to the stand, prop it up on the bipod while you're seated.

(My wife is 5'3" and 125lbs, and she uses a 17lb Savage 12 Varminter in .223rem, surely you can manage to slug your 6br to your set as long as you have sticks or a pod to set it on).

I'd have to do the whole gun, (the barrel is polished) so they won't see the flash off of it, but i think i'm looking for any excuse just to buy another gun.:happy0157:

stapher1 01-21-2012 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3903331)
Sounds like No Mercy gave you every reason to go out there and shoot some !

Go have some fun, and help out the rest of the game animals at the same time !!!

We had a female fox that had a litter of pups (4) in plugged drain pipe, we watched them most of the summer, then they started to disappear, then we found out why one morning when we caught a yote trying to get in their den.

Nomercy448 01-21-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by stapher1 (Post 3903396)
I'd have to do the whole gun, (the barrel is polished) so they won't see the flash off of it, but i think i'm looking for any excuse just to buy another gun.:happy0157:

All of our coyote rigs are generally "fully clothed", although honestly, if a dog spots my rifle, then I have bigger problems than a shiny barrel! Mostly I just think it looks cool, and for $5 worth of cloth tape, why not? It also DOES help protect the stock, which is nice (I prefer vinyl over cloth tape, since cloth tends to leave residue behind if you ever take it off. My favorite option, to be honest, is gun-sock type camo covers. I put them on, cut a few holes (scope, trigger, ejection port, mag well), wrap a few specific areas with camo-tape to hold better form, and go on with biz.

I can definitely relate to looking for any and every excuse to buy a new rifle. The SPS might not be my favorite rig out there, but it'll definitely do!

If you're really worried about dogs spotting glare on a rifle, then I'd be equally worried about them picking out a black rifle too. Wrap it either way. Honestly, I've dropped a lot of dogs with a full black AR-15 or a mirror polished bolt gun, never felt like dogs ever had any better chance of spotting me than they did with covers. If a dog's going to spot your gun, they're going to spot YOU.

GTOHunter 01-21-2012 08:03 PM

That Remington SPS Tactical in a .223 would be an awesome Rifle with plenty of knock-down power for Coyotes....and those grains of bullets are going to be fine and will carry out well and still have plenty of power to drop Coyotes,Bobcats or Foxes.

I'm shooting a CZ-USA .204 "Varmint" with the heavy barrel using 32 grain Winchester ballistic tips and have also used the Hornady V-max 40 grain bullets and will switch over to the Federal loaded V-Shok Sierra Blitz Kings in 39 grain pills!

My Coyote Calling Partner has used His .22 Hornet and .22 magnum for shooting Coyotes and they are smaller/lighter grain bullets than most of the .223.