Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

trapping racoons

Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

The ones in VT just love marshmallows. If there is a coon anywhere around he will be in a trap come morning with a marshmallow as bait. I never had a cat or dog bother it. Not sure if it works for skunks.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have live trapped 11 coons so far this year. They keep trying to get into my pheasant pen.. I only currently have 4 year old silver pheasants as last fall they attacked my birds and wiped most of them out. I used sardines for a while and that worked some. I tried using a couple of chubs I caught while trout fishing and they only reached threw the wire and pulled them out.. They just wouldn't go in. Then the attacked where I stored by bird food at. So I put some of that in the trap. Bingo that did the trick and I caught 4 more big coons. 1 was so big it couldn't get turned around in my trap when I took it away and released it. I had to stand in the body of my truck and dump it out. They can be mean when releasing them so becarefull.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

The ones I've trapped so far this year aren't mean because before I release them they get a 22 mag in the head, as I'm not taking any chances trying to let them loose somewhere. Between my BIL and his neighbor they have trapped 21 around their two homes this summer. There are just way too many and they need thinning out because people aren't hunting them any more and they are getting very brazen and are even out during the day scrounging around close to homes. I was over there not too long ago and one came right across the deck a couple hours before dark and looked in the slider window like he owned the place!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-27-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Spike

I use peanut butter on the trigger an bananas but they have to be where there just starting to turn brown on the peel. That always works for me
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck c61h !
Old 08-02-2012, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

We always used marsmallows...