Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

cant find squirrels for nothing >.<

Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Spike

Default cant find squirrels for nothing >.<

As title says.
Im very new to hunting and wanted to cut my teeth with squirrels.
Problem is, i cant ever find a single squirrel where i hunt.
i hunt on public land ( Francis Marion Forest in SC ) and ive heard they have an enormous squirrel population there so it has to be the locations im picking.
Im waiting 30 mins in spots but i dont ever see any.
I dont know if it helps but most of the trees in the forest look like file attached.
I have been told they eat pine cones so this shouldnt be a problem, as i cant find acorn trees ANYWHERE in the forest.
What could i be doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails cant find squirrels for nothing &gt;.&lt;-pine_tree-11924.jpg  
Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

They will eat most any nuts they can find.Are you watching around their nests?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Spike

yea i usually sit by the nests
Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

If you're seeing nest there has to be squirrels there. I don't typically sit much, I still hunt. Slowly move, and I mean SLOWLY through the areas where you know squirrels are at. I usually will see them moving in front of me, and then plan my moves from there to get a shot on them. If you're sitting a half hour should be enough time for them to come out. Are you hunting during active times of the day? I don't know what time that'd be down there but here in Ohio the best time right now is from eleven till three.
-Jake
Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Spike

Thats the problem im having Jake. Im sitting around completely still for half an hour by nests and i walk fairly slow to my sitting point as well and i see absolutely no squirrels anywhere. I dont know the active time down here but i have been out as early as 7am to as late as 2pm.
The only squirrels ive ever seen while im hunting was on the road while i was driving to forest.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Spike

Default dude

i hunt in the depths in francis marion national forest just like you. if you cant find any squirrels you must be hunting in pine or if not with your eyes closed. hunt hardwoods at first light and before dark. i personally prefer first light. good luck
Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay on the move in areas with nests.If you have a dog even one that's never hunted bring the pooch along.Any dog will take to it quickly and love it.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Spike

Most folks have said hardwoods.. (I agree) I usually don't give advice on something I haven't tried myself... I've been wanting to give this a try as I've heard several folks swear by it. If you'll take to coins and scrape the edges together rapidly it sounds like a squirrel cutting an acorn... folks on other forums I'm on swear they'll come running and almost sit in your lap... wish I could say I've given it a try but I rarely sway from coyote hunting... let me know if it works for you!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

late in the season i have a lot of luck in ravines and gullies.....nuts and cones fall off the trees and roll down and a lot of times squirrels are drawn to spots like that. Look for creeks and creekbeds.....roll in quiet and sit for 30 or 40 mins, if that doesnt work still hunt up the creek to another spot and try again. If u can find a logging road adjacent to something like that i would still hunt it, if you can walk quietly while the leaves are down youll hear the squirrels before they hear you and you can move up on them
Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go sit in a deer stand!!! LOL!!!!
It seems more times than not, when I am deer hunting, I am overran with the PITA's!!!!! I can usually see 2x my limit in a mornings sit.