Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel Hunting Photos (And a duck)

Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Spike

Default Squirrel Hunting Photos (And a duck)

I’m a new member to the forum & thought I’d share some photos from chasing squirrels over the past couple of weeks. Oh yeah, we got a duck as well.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

That is really cool that you are hunting with a falcon. I have always wanted to go with a guy who had one just to watch the bird in action. Did you train it yourself? I have seen a hawk catch a mouse but I think it would be cool to use a hawk to hunt with. By the way did I mention that it is cool to use a falcon to hunt with.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by westtexducks
That is really cool that you are hunting with a falcon. I have always wanted to go with a guy who had one just to watch the bird in action. Did you train it yourself? I have seen a hawk catch a mouse but I think it would be cool to use a hawk to hunt with. By the way did I mention that it is cool to use a falcon to hunt with.
Thanks westtexducks,
Although falcons are also hunted (primarily used for feathered quarry), my bird is actually a Red-tail hawk (good for rabbits & squirrels). If you’re ever up in Montana you’re more that welcome to join us out hunting. Also, I’m not sure where in Texas you’re located but there are quite a few very good falconers throughout the state & they’re always looking for someone to help flush rabbits & squirrels.

As far as training goes, I didn’t have to train her to hunt as she already instinctively knew all about that. I did however have to teach her to return to me when called, follow me as I flush game for her & wait on a kill for me to arrive. When hunting, my job is to find the squirrel & keep it in the tree while she chases it down. It’s similar to a hunter & hunting dog type of relationship accept in our case I’m the dog.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is wicked awesome! My father-in-law's best friend was a falconer, & I had meant to ask him to consider apprenticing me, but he passed away before I got the chance. I would still LOVE to do it, but can't commit the time @ this stage in life. Maybe when the nest is empty?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Spike

That is awesome! Beautiful bird.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Spike

Thanks for the kind words guys. It really is quite a bit of fun. We had two more chases today. She missed the first one but made up for it by hitting the second squirrel mid air as it was jumping from one tree to another. Little girl has the heart of a lion.

Vince, the time commitment is pretty significant for falconry. Unlike ones trusty old rifle that just needs a cleaning before being put away until the next hunt, raptors require maintenance 365 days a year. Just recognizing your time limitations puts you ahead of many guys that try jumping into the sport. So get past the hectic family stuff & when time allows, have another look into it. It might be right up your alley.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

I bet that was a sight to see watching that bird pluck a squirrel right out of the sky in mid flight to the next tree. Again really cool to be using a hawk to hunt with.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by westtexducks
I bet that was a sight to see watching that bird pluck a squirrel right out of the sky in mid flight to the next tree. Again really cool to be using a hawk to hunt with.
It was her best flight on squirrels yet. She was a couple of trees behind me when I spotted it so I ran to the base of the tree & could hear my bird's bells as I was running, letting me know she was on her way. As I got to the tree I looked up just in time to see her crash into the squirrel mid air & helicopter to the ground. Wish I could have gotten a photo of it!
The one downer was the squirrel ended up giving her a pretty good bite to one of her toes. I got it cleaned up, hit it with antibiotic & it doesn't look too bad but she'll be grounded for a couple of days to heal.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome, I'd love to come out with you sometime. I'm occasionally in Montana too, I'll keep it in the back of my mind. Great post.
-Jake
Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Awesome, I'd love to come out with you sometime. I'm occasionally in Montana too, I'll keep it in the back of my mind. Great post.
-Jake
Absolutely Jake, providing it's during our hunting season & she's not up for the molt we'd love to have you along.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.