Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What's your favorite yote caliber?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
I started out using my Browning bolt-action .243 Rifle,it works great in calm to windy conditions,my next choice for knock-down power and affordability in ammo would be a .223 Rifle.

My choice I went with was the CZ-USA "Varmint" in a .204 Ruger...talk about a long range Rifle that is very accurate and it has taken down every Coyote I have hit with it.I'm using Winchester 32 grain ballistic-tip bullets but plan on going with the Sierra Blitz Kings in 39 grain becasue of better accuracy.I'm completely thrilled with the .204 Bolt-action Rifle,can't say enough praise about it!The shells range from around $16.00 to $25.00 range per box of 20 shells depending on the brand and when they are on sale.
Great cartridge inside 400yds as long as its not too windy. We have shot them side by side with the .223's in various platforms and those little bullets really start to drift after 350 and really get goofy after that. We shoot a 1K range (family owned farm) all the time for our sniper rifles and get to play alot at long range. We shoot them side by side with same holds to see what the drift differences are. We shoot our 308's, 338 Lapua and now we have two Barrett M107 .50 BMG's to use.
Enjoy the new toy and post pics of results.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just had a AR platform built in .223/5.56, as a walking stick for predators.

18" stainless steel barrel, 4X-16X Burris w/ ballistic plex reticle & JP Enterprise single stag trigger.

Can't tell you how many opportunities I've "missed", because I couldn't get my gun off my shoulder quick enough (...and, yes I come under on my mount) !

Still love my .204 when I make stands; or the .243 if it's windy that day.

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
No Mercy,

I wish I had the $$$$ to own scopes like these !

I'm not a bright guy, so I put the same scope on all my rifles; so I always have the same sight picture (no matter which caliber) & I can use the adjustments with my eyes closed. LOL
I'm just REALLY "ANALytical" when it comes to my rigs, so I take the extra time to save up for quality glass. My philosophy is what's the point of buying a rifle and cartridge that's capable of taking game out to 600-1000yrds if you don't respect it enough to put enough scope on it?

I figure even a heavy barrel factory bolt action will run $800+, and an accurized AR is going to run $1200, let alone if I'd admit to what I paid for the custom rigs we're running (luckily I've been able to build most of them myself). A $5 horse and a $40 saddle doesn't make much sense, but either does a $40 horse and a $5 saddle. I wouldn't put a Nightforce on an H&R Handi-rifle, so why would I put a Tasco on a custom AR-15 right? Same deal for ammo, I may not reload ammo to burn through an SKS, but I'm not going to feed Rem Corelokts to a $3000 rig.

I'm an engineer by trade, so frankly, I tend to look at EVERYTHING through my "engineer eyes". If the rifle is the operating equipment, then the scope is the control system. No matter how advanced the equipment is, if you can't control it precisely, it's just a fancy paperweight. They don't put stick tillers in combat helicopters for a reason.

I typically use Mil-dot reticles, even though I very rarely use them as they're intended. I don't believe in bullet drop compensating reticles, and actually find them to be a major downside for a scope. I do like your idea of using the same reticle on different scopes though. I really hadn't considered it before, I guess it hasn't been a major issue for me. Other than the Nightforce reticles, I use Mil-dot or Plex reticles. I rarely hold over on any shot, but rather use some reticles to validate my range estimations (backing up my "eyeball guess" and laser rangefinder).
Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

No Mercy,

All very valid points; or should I say, I concur.

I picked that Burris scope (Signature Select 4X-16X 44MM ballistic plex illuminated reticle) out with the idea in mind that I would outfit all my future bolt guns with the same model.

So, I had to know I wasn't going to break the bank every time I brought a new rifle/caliber.

This new rig is a walking stick for me, so more often I will be shooting at 300 yards and in (walk with it on lowest power).

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Spike

It would have to be the .223 and the 22-250. If just out having fun I would take my little Sako Vixen .223, if participating in a contest hunt I would use the Rem Mod 7 in 22-250. I have no need for anything larger, call them in and "most" shots will be under 50 yards. Granted some coyotes will hang up on you but even at 300 yards the .223 is more than gun.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by coyotejim
It would have to be the .223 and the 22-250. If just out having fun I would take my little Sako Vixen .223, if participating in a contest hunt I would use the Rem Mod 7 in 22-250. I have no need for anything larger, call them in and "most" shots will be under 50 yards. Granted some coyotes will hang up on you but even at 300 yards the .223 is more than gun.

I agree all the way!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

25 06 ya baby!
Treebeard
Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started upteen years ago with a .270. It was all I had at the time. Then I went down to the .243 and found it did as much damage or more than the .270 so I went down to the 22-250 and used it for many many years. Then the .204 came along and I've shot a couple truck loads of coyotes with a D-Tech built AR and now it is my preferred caliber, except I just got my D-Tech built .223 threaded for my suppressor and it's getting the most action as of late. SO even though I prefer the .204, shooting suppressed in .223 is winning out in the action department for me.
I'd shoot my .204 suppressed except it has a 23" barrel, plus Mike's compensator, plus it's camo dipped. I gotta figure out if I can get Mike's comp. unthreaded and also find out what threads Mike uses for his comp., so I can figure out if I can get my suppressor on the .204. And I'm not sure if I want to add a 7" suppressor to the end of a 23" barrel.