HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Easy squirrel recipe??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/351944-easy-squirrel-recipe.html)

Kaianuanu 10-20-2011 05:32 PM

Easy squirrel recipe???

Me and 2 of my friends have been nailing squirrels in our suburban backyard for a few days and now i have 5 in the fridge, but i should be able to get about 3 or more before i cook them. The first time i tried it was monday, i basically just browned 1 chopped up squirrel, then stewed it in some chicken noodle soup. It tasted great but came out tough and really chewy. My friends are not hunters so i dont want to give them a bad experience in eating wild game I also would rather chop it up as i think seeing an intact squirrel carcass on their plate may put them off. So, i need help finding a recipe that will tenderize the tough meat i have, will suppress any gameyness, and is really easy(for me) to cook. My mom will cook anything i shoot but rodents.

PS: maybe some garlic recipes???

ADVWannabee 10-21-2011 09:15 AM

Let me know when you find one. :) I shot several last year. One of them I boiled for a few minutes, then floured and browned it in a skillet. It was as tender as chicken. I just pulled a few more out of the freezer this past week and did the same but they were tough as leather. I don't know if I boiled them or browned them too long or both.

deer_predator 10-21-2011 09:28 AM

Lil Tony Satcheries... Open fire on the grill

Kaianuanu 10-21-2011 03:13 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I read what you said about boiling it so i figured i'd just do a recipe where i'd be cooking it in some water, so i did a basic squirrel stew recipe and it turned out amazing! Its not falling off the bone, but its about as tender as you'd expect stewed chicken to be, not tough or chewy at all. Nor did it gaminess to it at all. FYI: in this recipe you dont brown the meat at all. Its much more flavorful than any chicken stew i've ever had though. I did the recipe in the link below, i didnt use any bay leaf like it says, but i used about double the seasonings it recommends. I also let the meat soak in garlic-salt water for about a half hour before, then, before i poured the stock/sauce on the strained meat and vegetables, i sprinkled garlic salt over it. Not bad for a 16 year old kid with very little cooking experience, huh?

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1926...254197,00.html

jrbsr 10-21-2011 04:06 PM

Squirrel supper with squirrels from last year.
Made with Zatarains New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix.
And Yes it is Goooooooooooooooooooooood.
That was my last squirrels.
First I boil them in a big pot of water with about a tablespoon applecider vinegar untile they are tender.
After they cool down, I take the meat off the bones.
Then chop it up to look like barbeque.
Then cook it in Zatarains New Orleans Style Jambalaya mix.
Just like the dieection on the box says to.
This is what it looks like.
It is tender, and super good too.

rlpsystems 10-22-2011 04:38 AM

That recipe there is getting me out in the woods this afternoon.........

rlpsystems 10-30-2011 03:48 AM

hey jrbsr.....made the jambalaya last night.....now im hooked on that........need to fiil the freezer....

rlpsystems 10-30-2011 04:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
looking good..............................

patman75 10-30-2011 06:19 AM

This is my favorite and even non hunters like it.

Soak the squirrels in icy salt water overnight to pull the blood out, it make them taste less gamey.

This recipe is for about 3 squirrels so increase ingredients accordingly.

Mix together...
1 tbs of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper (more if you like)
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of oilve oil
1 tbs of thyme
1/2 onion chopped up
juice of 1/2 of lemon.
1-2 garlic cloves dices or minced.

Marinade squirrel for at least 5 hours or more.

Place everything is baking dish. Add more water and olive oil so that meat is covered.

Cover baking dish with foil or glass top.

Bake in oven at 325-350 for 1.5 hours or more, the longer the more tender as long as you keep the meat submerged or flip them over a few time so they dont dry out.

I use this for rabbit, venison, elk, chicken and turkey too. Enjoy!

ShawnT 11-10-2011 05:16 AM

jrbsr,

How many squirrels did you use in the recipe? Looked like you used a crock pot too? Man that looks like good eating.

ShawnT