Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Any Coyote Shotgunners?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any Coyote Shotgunners?

Just curious as too how many of you hunt coyotes with
a shotgun? We hunt dense wooded areas and use
shotguns. We have discovered a super ammo in the
HeviShot Coyote shells. The load really stones those
coyotes.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

We used to not bring shotguns only rifles, but after having several dogs come loping in within 5 yds of the truck at night we have since then wised up and now bring a shotgun so we can just point shoot and not worry about the scoped rifle. One night when we went out, if we had three of them come within 3 yds of the truck at a lope if we would have brought a shotgun we would have had all three of them. So the next night we only called in one but we brought a shotgun with 3 inch T shot and my brother nailed him about 5 yds from the truck. Hopefully this winter when I am back down for the holidays we will lay the hammer down on them with some 3 inch T shot.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:44 AM
Spike

I popped one with a 12Ga slug last year.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I use is the shotgun for predators. I recommend using Hevi-Shot the size of the shot is open to you but dead coyote is the way to go.

Ryan.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by my7pointmonster
All I use is the shotgun for predators. I recommend using Hevi-Shot the size of the shot is open to you but dead coyote is the way to go.

Ryan.
Thanks Ryan....I agree that HeviShot Dead Coyote is the best
shell that I have ever used for coyote hunting. I prefer the
shotgun due to the wooded areas that we hunt and the coyotes
seemingly come out of nowhere and you gotta swing quick
and get your shots off.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used 00 Buckshot on yotes for about 20yrs. Even when I'm using the rifle, I usually take a shotgun along just in case one pops up from behind. (Usually a Baikal Coach Gun 20" SxS, but occasionally take one of my Benelli's).

I'd like to try the Hevi-Shot, I just haven't ever bitten the bullet and bought any.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I haven't hunted coyotes but am thinking about doing it. That is why in another post I had asked a question about trying to get them to hold up. We hunt heavey wooded areas up this way as well. I have seen 6 coyotes in my last 7 days of hunting. Mostly bondes but today I had one come up on the road just ahead of me and it was mostly black. It had gray on it's face legs and under side as well as the under side of it's tail. Although the underside of the tail had a small amount of brown blended into it. I first thought it was someones small shepard but I was only around 40 miles from any tar road let alone any houses. It would of made a super mount IMO..
Old 10-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have used a scattergun for years as a backup to my rifle. I have used mainly reloaded 3"-Buffered BB's. I now use factory lead BB's but also use 4 buck and Dead Coyote. I use a Briley Ext. Full choke. DRT out to 40yds.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

I too hunt dense areas with a 12Ga. For now I'm using federal 3" #4BUCK. It's a bit big for the fox, but I don't want to skimp when the songdog comes in. Anyone know how the DeadCoyote would shoot from Xfull choke? My gun doesn't take choke tubes.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

What I am thinking about using is my Remmington 1100 magnum with a 32 inch full choked barrell and 3 inch #4 buckshot. I am guessing that will work if I can get one to come in close enough..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.