HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Racoon problem.. ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/348489-racoon-problem.html)

louie6014 08-21-2011 09:58 AM

Racoon problem.. ?

I recently built a little tube feeder and filled it with corn and trophy rack grainuals. Figured Ide fatten some of my deer up, and see what alls down there for this season... and it appears that Im only feeding racoons. I got about 55 acres down there and just this one feeder. I believe theres about 6 racoons at it, from other pictures. Is this too many for this sized plot of land? Ive never seen one while hunting. Just wanna keep them off the feeder is all... I dont mind them digging up bee's nests and keeping all that in check. Should I trap and remove some? Lemme know

4evrhtn 08-21-2011 12:28 PM

I sent you a private message letting you know how I got rid of all these in 4 days.

halfbakedi420 08-21-2011 01:02 PM

i dont believe in killin all these raccooons just so they quit eatin your feed...maybe just raisin the pipe off the ground....if ya get a sewer sweep tee and a couple caps, you can make a hanging one coons cant reach, but deer can....the higher ya put it, the bigger the deer has to be to reach it.

GTOHunter 08-21-2011 04:55 PM

The feeder is mounted up against a tree to hold it up...no matter how high You go the Racoons will be able to climb up and get into the feeder...I plan on trapping (during this coming trapping season) all the racoons that have been visiting my feeder and give them to the local Trapper. :D

halfbakedi420 08-21-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by GTOHunter (Post 3837230)
The feeder is mounted up against a tree to hold it up...no matter how high You go the Racoons will be able to climb up and get into the feeder...I plan on trapping (during this coming trapping season) all the racoons that have been visiting my feeder and give them to the local Trapper. :D

not if ya hang it up.

louie6014 08-21-2011 05:45 PM

Well I built that pipe to help the deer get a lil somthing extra and to photograph them coming by/ maybe have some stay in my area. But I might remove it, no way I can afford to fill this thing every 2 days. The racoons emptyed 4.5 gallons in 2 days... Also like I said.. I dont mind them or skunks or whatever digs up yellow jackets stayin around... I do think that 6+ racoons may be a little too many for my small piece of land, and I got a mangy red fox coming by too.. Must not be enough for them to eat hence they all show up at my deer buffet

PREDATE 08-22-2011 05:09 AM

Stock up on KERN!!!

Seif5034 09-21-2011 07:13 PM

.22lr and some bait. Leftover chicken maybe?

Now before i get flamed for this allow me to say: I'm not only some gun-crazy redneck. However, this is on your property and it seems to me that the raccoons are being a nuisance. If you are to the point of removing the deer feeder, some trigger time should definately be in consideration. (In holding with your local rules and regs)

louie6014 09-22-2011 07:10 AM

Kinda gave up on them, relocated a few, but just limited my tube feeder intervals, guess Ill go on with it more when all the leaves drop, and maybe switch over to some blocks or mineral sites, instead of corn feeding... side note, stuff costs more than anything ya can put out for them right now, insane prices

Bocajnala 09-22-2011 11:54 AM

That's not too many for your 50 acres. I've seen 7 coons in one tree before. You can either trap them and kill them, trap them and relocate them, or sit out one evening and shoot a couple. ANother option is find someone that runs dogs in your area, I'm always looking for a good property to hunt coons on. And there's bound to be someone in your area looking to hunt. I shoot coons pretty often when I know they're messing with my chickens. Good luck clearing a few out.
-Jake