Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Questions on .22 for squirrels

Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I use a 22 LR for tree rat huntin I use either a Ruger 10-22 or a Mossberg .22 and ill only use CCI mini mag hollow points. I use a 17 HMR also and lets just say if your gonna use it for squirrels shoot um in the head cause it'll do some SERIOUS damage and lose alot of meat. But any ol 22 your comfortable shootin with will do just fine on tree rats.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Spike

I used to use a walmart 25.00 pelet gun. always worked well for me. I now use a .17 hmr and a head shot.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

I've got a Savage MKII .22 that is great. My best friend has a 17M2 that does the job just fine. It's not nearly as noisy as the HMR, and shoots great. But it doesn't shoot any better at squirrel range as my .22 that costs half as much to shoot

rw
Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have a couple different 22s I use.I like to use Remington golden bullet hollow points or mini mag hollow points.Shoot um right behind the front arm in the ribs.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by garett12
I have a couple different 22s I use.I like to use Remington golden bullet hollow points or mini mag hollow points.Shoot um right behind the front arm in the ribs.
Lot of meat damage that way ain't it? Why not head shoot and save over half the meat.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Lot of meat damage that way ain't it? Why not head shoot and save over half the meat.
if you cant get a headshot this would be my 2nd choice, its deadly and there really aint that much meat on the ribs, i usually just end up with arms and legs in my squirrel dishes anyway
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

^^^yep what he said.I dont keep the ribs.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 AM
Spike

Howdy folks,
I plink squirrels with my Beeman 22 break barrel pellet rifle.
One shot behind the ear is all it takes at 1200 FPS, but I only take one here and there for the tails and fur because I have no idea how to cook em.

What are the ways to eat these guys?

Dust em in seasoned flour and pan fry 'em in bacon drippings till medium well?

Do you want them less cooked?

Thanks,

John
Old 03-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by luthier
Howdy folks,
I plink squirrels with my Beeman 22 break barrel pellet rifle.
One shot behind the ear is all it takes at 1200 FPS, but I only take one here and there for the tails and fur because I have no idea how to cook em.

What are the ways to eat these guys?

Dust em in seasoned flour and pan fry 'em in bacon drippings till medium well?

Do you want them less cooked?

Thanks,

John
Generally I treat squirrel just like I would bone-in pieces of chicken... but I almost always brine squirrels overnight before cooking.

Seasoned flour and pan fried is great, make a simple pan gravy from the drippings and you've got a tasty dish to serve up with some potatoes or biscuits. Either that or you can boil it up with veggies and broth to make squirrel stew or dumplings.

However, I've done so much as to cook the meat, remove from bones then substitute the meat for any chicken dish. Cajun Squirrel Linguini, Squirrel Carbonara, etc.

Even just brining and BBQing on the grill while basting in sauce is amazing as well.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

I had squirrel pot pie once that was pretty good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.