Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

need help trapping woodchuck

Old 08-04-2003, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default need help trapping woodchuck

any ideas out there, i have a live trap, about an 8 by 8 opening, that i have been trying to catch a woodchuck for family in. have had it tripped several, several times, always empty. have set it with both doors open, and with only one open, tripped every day, sometimes twice a day. used carrots, peas, lettuce for bait. bait outside trap is usually gone.other than a person tripping it, what could be doing it. resident animals are fox, raccoons, skunks, cats, probably rabbits. can see trails in the grass going right to the trap, only about4-6 inch beaten down trail in wet morning grass.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:29 AM

Default 220 conibears

Pick up a couple 220 conibears and set them up by the entrance of the woodchucks hole. Remember a woodchuck has more than one entrance hole. One den can have as many as 6 different holes. Good luck with your trapping
Old 08-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need help trapping woodchuck

i have an uncle that traps, that also recommended a foothold, or snare, but i can' t do it there because this is a residential area, and the homeowners have a cat which they don' t wish to take the chance of being caught in.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:55 PM

This is the only advice I can give you...

Shoot It.

No need for thank you' s. I know how excellent my advice is.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

oh, i can' t shoot the critter where it is, and the homeowners called last night to imform me that they observed the woodchuck trying to reach through, from the side to get the bait, instead of going in it like he should. that must be how he keeps tripping it. how to fix that problem?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:00 PM

Default Woodchuck

Sounds to me that you may need a larger trap. If the woodchuck is able to reach in and grab the bait, your trap isn' t big enough for woodchucks. The idea of a live trap is to get the animal completely inside the trap before he' s able to trip the door.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

coyote, he isn' t reaching from the end and grabbing the bait, he is trying to get at it from the sides. i wonder if the trap doors have shut on him before, and now it is cautious and is trying a different approach for the bait.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:06 AM

Put hay or straw bales,or paneling on the sides so they cant reach in.Racoon are known to do this so I wiretied paneling on the sides and you should have him in the next few days