Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

just shot a fox need help asap

Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default just shot a fox need help asap

i shot a monster grey fox today and i need advice on tracking...i wasnt hunting the fox it was an oppurtuinty...i shot it with my 22 magnum and i shot it from roughly 40 yards...when it hit the fox reared back from a sitting position for like 7 seconds...then it layed down right where i shot it for about 1 minute..me not wanting to ruin the hide didnt shoot it again thinking it was going to die in about 5 seconds...it got up and ran off then...i looked to see if he fell like 50 yards away immediately...didnt see him so i decided to back off and go looking in the morning.. i shot him in an open area...there is a swamp about 150 yards from where i shot him...i looked and didnt see much if any blood...what advice do yall have for searching for him..also will the hide still be good in the morning...
Old 04-03-2011, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know what your temps are like...but the hide should still be good unless it's extremely warm.

Just track him like a deer. The situation scares me a little...with him laying there for a time, but you never know.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would imagine it got tore to shreds by the time ya found it today?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hope this helps;

http://www.minntrapprod.com/index.php

http://www.trapperman.com/
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Fox laying there seems kinda weird. Everyone I've shot if it didn't die right away twisted around nipping at itself and flipping all over the place, or ran immediately. I would try and track it just like anything else. Look for some hair/blood all that. Follow the trail. If that doesn't work walk a grid and look in the likely (and unlikely) places. Hope ya found him, give us an update.
-Jake
Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Spike

ever find him?